Disabled parking permit - blue badge

Blue badges help people with severe walking difficulties access goods and services by allowing them to park close to their destination. To be eligible, you must have a permanent and substantial physical walking disability. The expanded criteria relating to 'hidden disability' hasn't been implemented yet and so won't be considered at this time.

Am I eligible?

Documentation to support your blue badge application should include evidence relating to your walking disability eg clinical medical reports and disability award letters.

You'll qualify automatically if you:

  • are eligible to be registered as severely sight impaired (blind)
  • receive high rate mobility for the disability living allowance
  • have been awarded 8 or more points for the moving around mobility activity for the personal independence payment (PIP)

If you don't have automatic entitlement, we may ask you to attend a mobility assessment which will be completed by an independent health professional.

Pending expanded criteria: hidden disability

In 2018 the Department for Transport (DfT) announced plans to expand the blue badge criteria to include people with 'hidden disabilities'. This is where a person has difficulties with mobility aside from physical causes, eg people who can't make a journey without 'a risk of serious harm to health or safety' or where journeys cause 'considerable psychological distress'.

The DfT is consulting further to plan for these changes. Until the expanded criteria has been confirmed and integrated into our systems, the existing criteria will apply. It's anticipated that the new criteria will be implemented in 2019, however no specific date is known. 

Apply for or renew your blue badge

Apply now

Applications can take six to eight weeks to process once we receive all the documents. You should submit your renewal application at least two months before your blue badge is due to expire.

Submit supporting information

Once you have applied, you need to submit the following supporting documents. If we do not receive the documents within ten working days of your application, it will be cancelled. The documents can be submitted in person or by post to Hackney Service Centre. Address is on the right of this page. 

  • tracking reference number
  • proof of address dated within the last three months (eg bank statement, utility bill, council tax bill)
  • copy of passport or driving licence
  • one passport size photograph
  • proof you receive the higher rate mobility component of disability living allowance dated within the last three months (if you receive it)

What if I don't have access to a computer or internet access? 

A member of Council staff can help you complete the application. You can visit the Hackney Service Centre for assistance but you may have to queue. You can also use a computer or wifi at any Hackney library free of charge.

Where can I park and when should I display the clock?

 Blue badgeCompanion badge
On street pay and display baysYes (no clock needed) - no time limit.Yes with clock - no time limit.
Permit holder only baysNoOnly in home CPZ (no clock needed) -no time limit.

Combined pay and display and permit holder bays) 

Yes (no clock needed) - no time limit.Yes (clock needed outside of home CPZ) -no time limit
Disabled baysYes (no clock needed unless the sign shows a time limit)Yes (clock needed outside home CPZ and if the sign shows a time limit)
Resident permit holder only bays (home CPZ only)NoYes (no clock needed) - no time limit.
Single and double yellow lines (where allowed*)Yes with clock (maximum three hours)Yes with clock (maximum three hours)
Business bays, doctors bays, red routes, suspended baysNoNo
Housing estatesContact estate directly to find out where you can park.Contact estate directly to find out where you can park.

* You can park on yellow lines unless there is a ban on loading and unloading or you are causing an obstruction. You can stay for up to three hours and once you've finished you can't return to the same road for an hour.

Companion badges

We can issuecompanion badges to blue badge holders who live and park in Hackney. They are designed to protect eligible residents against blue badge theft.

Fraud and misuse

The majority of blue badge holders use their badges responsibly and in accordance with the rules laid down by the Department for Transport inThe blue badge scheme: rights and responsibilities in England.

We take blue badge fraud and misuse very seriously. The badge is for the badge holder only; it is a criminal offence to let anyone else use it when you are not in the car. The badge must only be used when the person it was issued to is in the vehicle either as the driver or as a passenger. It is against the law to use a badge without the disabled person being present. Do not allow other people to use your badge to do something on your behalf such as shopping or collecting something for you unless you are travelling with them.

If you're in any doubt about when and how to use your blue badge, call us on 020 8356 6262.

How we deal with fraud and misuse

A dedicated fraud team investigates and prosecutes blue badge misuse and fraud. If someone is found guilty of misusing a blue badge they can be fined up to £1,000.

How do I report misuse of a blue badge?

If you suspect that a badge is either fraudulent or being mis-used, please call 0208 356  8866 or email bluebadgefraudteam@hackney.gov.uk. All calls are confidential.

What should I do if my blue badge is stolen?

If your blue badge is stolen, you should report the theft to the police immediately, then contact us on 020 8356 6262. You should quote the crime reference number or crime report when you apply for a replacement.

Personal independence payment (PIP)

The government has changed the disability living allowance scheme (DLA)  to personal independence payments (PIP) for people aged 16 to 64.

From June 2013, anyone who applies for disability living allowance through the Department of Work and Pension (DWP), will now be assessed under the personal independence payment scheme. If you score more than eight points in the moving around category of the assessment will be eligible for a blue badge.

If you have mental health problems, epilepsy, blindness and deafness, you will not be assessed for your mobility. You will still be eligible for a freedom pass.

More information 

Page updated: 07/03/2019 11:16:49