We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.
Short breaks for children and young people
Short breaks are activities for children and young people with a disability. They allow a disabled child or young person to have an enjoyable break away from their main carer, and give their carer a break from their caring responsibilities.
Short breaks are for children or young people who:
- are 5-17 years old (up until the day before their 18th birthday)
- live in Hackney permanently
- receive disability living allowance at middle rate or high rate or personal independence payments at intermediate or advance rate
How to apply
Complete the short breaks application form and provide written evidence that your child receives disability living allowance at the middle rate or above. For any queries or support in filling out your application, tel 020 8356 6797 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The short breaks lite offer for 2019/20 is 110 hours to be used flexibly at one of our contracted providers, or the option of an individual budget (more info below).
Children and young people that sign up for the core offer later on in the year will receive provision on a pro-rota basis; more details of this are available from Short Breaks Hackney.
The range of short breaks available
The following short breaks services are available in Hackney:
- holiday play schemes (including school)
- specialist after school clubs
- specialist weekend clubs
- after school and weekend clubs based at universal setting
- one to one outreach support in the home and in the community
- individual budget. For more information, please read the individual budget process
The Health Trust also offers a Sunday club at Kids Adventure Playground for children and young people with additional complex health support needs who find it difficult to access other provisions. This is a specialist service supported with nursing staff. For more information see Hit Squad
The short break statement
The short break statement provides an overview of:
- the range of short breaks services available to disabled children and their families
- eligibility criteria
- short breaks provision
- consultation with children, young people and their families
Our last statement was published for the financial year of 2018/19 and we’ll be updating our service statement in September 2019. For more information see Short Breaks Hackney.
Under 5’s provision 2019/20
Depending on the age of your child, you may be eligible for 15 free hours nursery or childminding, which can be used for respite at a children’s centre if your child is aged between 0-2 years.
If your child is aged between 3-4 years you will be able to access a range of service provision such as a nursery, children centre or childminding. The expectation is that you follow the pathway to access provision.
In exceptional cases where your child is aged 3-4 years you may be able to access a one-off payment totalling £200 per year which will be calculated on a pro-rata basis to pay for a carer or age appropriate service.
If you require any further explanation regarding the new under 5 pathway, please contact us on 020 8356 6796.