Public recycling banks and recycling centres
Public recycling banks
There are over 70 public recycling banks and bins in Hackney. They are available for use by all residents, and are emptied weekly. They must not be used for commercial or business waste.
There are public banks for clothes and textiles, small electrical items (28cm by 23cm or smaller), low energy light bulbs, books, CDs and DVDs. You can recycle batteries at every Hackney library.
Click on the map below to find out what you can recycle at each location.
- green plugs show bins for small electrical items
- red hangers show clothes banks
Books, CDs and DVDs
- Barnabas Road and Hassett Road junction, outside Musgrove House
- Green Lanes near Stoke Newington Church Street junction, adjacent to Clissold Park
- Kingsland Road opposite Kingsland Waste
- Kingsland Shopping Centre car park outside the entrance on Martel Place
- Paul Street at the junction of Great Eastern Street
Low energy light bulbs
- Chatsworth Road at the junction with Rushmore Road
- Well Street at the junction with Cassland Road
- Kingsland Shopping Centre car park, outside the entrance on Martel Place
- Old Street next to the fire station
- Lordship Road between Lordship Terrace and Lordship Grove
Report a problem with a recycling bank
Household waste and recycling centres
Hackney residents can use any of these waste and recycling centres (also known as tips or dumps). You can take a range of household waste items to the sites, including unusable furniture, garden waste, electrical appliances, scrap metal and textiles.
- Islington, 40 Hornsey Street, N7 8HU
- Walthamstow, South Access Road, E17 8AX
- Leyton, Gateway Road, E10 5BY
- Wood Green, Western Road, N22 6UG
Please note that not all centres accept vans or cars with a trailer. For sites that do accept vans and cars with a trailer you must book 24 hours in advance.
Each site has a limit for of 20 vans per day. Residents are permitted to a maximum of 5 visits with a van or car with a trailer per financial year (1 April – 31 March).
Please check the website of the centre you want to use for opening hours and to see any restrictions on what you can bring. For more information see Wise up to Waste’s van and trailer guidance.