Data protection and freedom of information
On this page:
We collect and handle lots of personal data so that we can deliver services to people and businesses in Hackney.
This privacy notice applies to any personal data collected by us or on our behalf, by any format – phone, letter, email, online, or face to face.
We collect and handle data to:
- provide the service you’ve asked for – eg if you apply for a parking permit we will use your data to process this application
- confirm your identity and eligibility when you apply for services
- stay in contact with you, eg if you sign up to one of our newsletters to get information about services
- fulfil legal obligations such as licensing, trading standards and planning enforcement
- provide information to government, when the law says we need to
- assess our performance, ensure value for money, and to set targets for departments
- to detect and prevent fraud and crime
Cookies are small anonymous text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. The Council is committed to only using cookies that are either essential (ie they are required to make something work) or that help us to make your experience of using the web site better.
The following cookies are used on this website:
|These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.|
Cookies set by third party websites
We sometimes embed video, images or other content from websites such as Vimeo, YouTube, Flickr and Twitter. We may also allow you to share links to content on our site with other websites by the use of ‘Share’ buttons.
As we have no control over the cookies set by these websites, please look at the relevant third party websites for more information.
Change cookie settings for this website
Most web browsers allow some control of cookies through the browser settings. Find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them.
- opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites
You have the right to access personal information held about you. This is called a subject access request. In order to make an SAR you will need to provide the following:
- enough information for the Council to find the information you are requesting
- proof of your identity
- proof of address
The Freedom of Information Act gives any member of the public access to information held by us. We are required to provide any information requested, unless there is a very good reason not to. Make a freedom of information (FOI) request.