Business rates

Business rates are payable by the occupier on shops, offices, warehouses and factories. Farm land and buildings, churches, and other types of property are not rated and are therefore classified as exempt.

Business rates account enquiries

View your account

Pay your business rates

There are a number of ways to pay your business rates including online and by direct debit. Find out what happens if you don't pay.

Who needs to pay?

The person who normally needs to pay business rates is the person 'entitled to possession' or occupation of business premises. These will usually be either the owner if they are the occupier, or the leaseholder.

See exemptions and reliefs to find out if your property is exempt from business rates, or if you are eligible for a relief.

How your bill is calculated

There are 2 elements to calculating the charge which are the rateable value and the multiplier.

The rateable value of the premises x multiplier = rates payable

The rateable value

This is based on the annual rent which would be paid on the property if it were rented. The Valuation Office Agency set this rateable value and keep a valuation list of all the rating assessments for premises within the borough. It can be viewed at Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, London E8 1DY or the Valuation Office Agency, 1st Floor, Lloyds Chambers, 1 Portsoken Street, London E1 8BT.

The multiplier

This figure is set each year and can't be increased by more than inflation. For 2018/19, the standard multiplier is 0.493 (49.3p) and the small business multiplier is 0.480 (48.0p). The multiplier used is dependent on the rateable value of the property.


Rateable value of the property is £55,000, the bill for 2018/19 would be (£55,000 x 0.493 = £27,115.00).

It may be possible to reduce the amount of business rates payable in some circumstances. See exemptions and reliefs or for further information.

Report a change in circumstances

The type of changes that you need to notify us of are:

  • where you are currently receiving a relief or reduction and this should no longer apply
  • someone else become jointly liable for the rates with you, for example you take on a partner
  • you make physical changes to the premises, for example partition off some areas

If you think the changes may affect the amount you have to pay, please write to us or email to let us know. You can also report a change by telephone.

Moving premises

What you need to tell us if you move premises.



Page updated: 21/11/2018 16:07:37