Important information about birth registration appointments
Due to exceptional demand across all parts of our service, the next available birth registration appointment is currently not until October.
We understand that this means that a number of parents may be unable to register their baby’s birth within 42 days.
We’re doing our best to open additional appointments where we can. Please don’t email us to request an earlier appointment. Instead, please use the reschedule link in your confirmation email to search for earlier availability.
If your child was born in Hackney, they must be registered here, regardless of where you lived at the time of the birth.
On this page:
Book an appointment if your baby was born in Hackney
You can book an appointment if your baby was born at Homerton University Hospital or at a home address within the borough.
Certificates cost £11 and must be paid for in advance by credit or debit card, as we can’t take any payment at the appointment.
The free short certificate is no longer issued at the time of registration.
What to bring to the appointment
It’s advised that you bring at least 2 of the following documents:
- driving licence
- birth certificate
- marriage or civil partnership certificate
- proof of address (for example, a council tax bill or a utility bill)
- mother’s discharge papers (‘Maternal Delivery Transfer Summary’ is printed in the top left-hand corner)
- baby’s red book if you don’t have the mother’s discharge papers
- deed poll (if the parent has ever changed their name)
Stillbirths need to be registered within 42 days. You need to make an appointment to register a stillbirth.
It may be possible to re-register a birth:
- to add the father’s details
- following a marriage or civil partnership of natural parents
- to add a second female parent
Births from 1 January 1975
You can order a certificate for a birth that happened in Hackney from us.
Certificates are charged at a statutory fee of £11 each for standard certificates and £35 each for express order certificates, plus postage fees.
Please note any certificate order will take 5 working days to complete plus postage time.
We are currently unable to offer an express service – if you do require your certificate urgently we recommend you order directly from the General Register Office using their priority service by using the link on this page.
If for any reason we cannot produce your requested certificate, we will process a partial refund instead.
Births on or before 31 December 1974
You’ll need to order the certificate from the General Register Office.
Please note that we have no access or association to any orders placed directly with the General Register Office. Please contact them directly to follow up an order.
A child’s forenames (first and middle names) can be changed up to one year from the date the child was originally registered.
- amendments cost £40
- new certificates cost £11
There are 2 different ways that this can be done.
The change to the child’s forename(s) will be made on the birth entry and will show on any certificates issued from that point on.
The child’s new name will be shown in the bottom box of the birth certificate (space 17). The child’s name that they were originally given at the time of registration will always still appear in space 2.
You can apply to correct a birth registration:
- when the information recorded is wrong – eg if there is a mistake in the spelling of a parent’s name
You can’t apply for a correction:
- to show new information if circumstances change after you’ve registered your child’s birth – eg if you’ve changed address
You can get certain official UK documents legalised by asking the Legalisation Office to confirm that the signature, stamp or seal is from a UK public official.
- Mon to Fri, 9am - 4.30pm
- Emergency out of hours death service: Sat and Sun, 9am - 11am, bank holidays (excluding Christmas Day), 9am - 11am