Please note that in light of the current restrictions the Registration Office is still open for birth registrations.
If your child was born in Hackney, they must be registered here, regardless of where you lived at the time of the birth.
On this page:
Stillbirths need to be registered within 42 days. You need to make an appointment to register a stillbirth.
It may be possible to re-register a birth:
- to add the father’s details
- following a marriage or civil partnership of natural parents
The re-registration is free, but new certificates are £11.
We offer a re-registration day once a month, which is usually the last Thursday of the month.
Births from 1 January 1975
You can order a certificate for a birth that happened in Hackney from us.
Certificates are charged at a statutory fee of £11 each for standard certificates and £35 each for express order certificates, plus postage fees.
If for any reason we cannot produce your requested certificate, we will process a partial refund instead.
A child’s forenames (first and middle names) can be changed up to one year from the date the child was originally registered.
- amendments cost £40
- new certificates cost £11
There are 2 different ways that this can be done.
The change to the child’s forename(s) will be made on the birth entry and will show on any certificates issued from that point on.
The child’s new name will be shown in the bottom box of the birth certificate (space 17). The child’s name that they were originally given at the time of registration will always still appear in space 2.
You can apply to correct a birth registration:
- when the information recorded is wrong – eg if there is a mistake in the spelling of a parent’s name
You can’t apply for a correction:
- to show new information if circumstances change after you’ve registered your child’s birth – eg if you’ve changed address
You can get certain official UK documents legalised by asking the Legalisation Office to confirm that the signature, stamp or seal is from a UK public official.
- Mon to Fri, 9am - 4.30pm
- Emergency out of hours death service: Sat and Sun, 9am - 11am, bank holidays (excluding Christmas Day), 9am - 11am