On this page:
In law, a barking dog can be considered a noise nuisance and its owner can be taken to court and fined if they do nothing to stop it.
We promote responsible dog ownership, alongside the police, the RSPCA, the Dogs Trust, Hackney Homes and others. Dangerous dogs.
Lost and stray dogs and cats
We can help you retrieve a lost dog / cat or report a stray one.
Dog control orders
We have the following dog control orders in operation in Hackney: dog fouling, dog exclusion order, dogs on leads order and dogs on leads by direction order.
Dog and animal fouling
It is an offence not to clean up after your dog has fouled, and you could be fined £75 if you don’t.
Pet tagging and microchipping
We provide a free microchipping service to Hackney residents. For more information about the service and an appointment please contact us.
If your pet is microchipped, it helps someone finding it to return it to you as soon as possible. It also prevents unnecessary stays overnight in kennels, which can be traumatic for many pets and costly to owners.
Low cost neutering scheme
Low cost neutering is available with the Dogs Trust to those in receipt of means-tested benefit, if your dog is one of the following listed breeds:
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Mastiff, Rottweiler, American Bull Dog, Greyhound, Lurcher, Akita, Husky, Malamute, German Shepherd, Samoyed, Jack Russell Terrier, Border Collie
Crossbreeds where the primary breed is identifiable as one of those listed will also be eligible.
Reporting cruelty to animals
If you suspect that an animal of any kind is being subjected to any form of cruelty then the only organisation that can legally deal with this is the RSPCA. Contact the them on 0300 1234 999.
We offer a range of services to cover animal welfare under various legislation:
- We collect stray dogs within the borough, and keep them in our kennel for seven days if unidentified before sending to an approved re-homing centre
- We license and inspect animal related establishments
- We promote responsible pet ownership and offer behavioural advice
- We work in conjunction with the local vet practices, the police, the RSPCA, Status Dog Unit, Dog Trusts and other animal rescue organisations
Animal Welfare Services
- 9am - 5pm020 8356 6688
- 5pm - 9am020 8356 2300
- Office hours: Mon to Fri: 7am - 3pm (Tel: 020 8356 6688 until 5pm then call 020 8356 2300 for the out of hours service)