We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.
Walford Road area
On 29 April, the Council’s Cabinet approved carrying out further consultation on option B of the original Walford Road scheme, which proposes closing roads to motorised traffic on: Nevill Road between Osterley Road and Walford Road; Clonbrock Road at its junction with Nevill Road; and Allen Road at its junction with Nevill Road.
This consultation has now started. If you’re a resident, you can have your say by filling in the consultation questionnaire or returning a paper consultation document, which have been sent to all residents in the area.
There is a consultation drop-in event at 3-8pm on Tuesday 24 September at Stoke Newington Town Hall, where residents will be able to ask questions about the proposed scheme.
The consultation closes on Friday 25 October.
The consultation document provides information about road safety, traffic modelling and air quality.
Tackling London’s poor air quality
We’re doing lots more across the borough to tackle London’s poor air quality.
Walford Road consultation
Between December 2017 and January 2018, we consulted on proposals to reduce traffic around Walford Road, Brighton Road and Nevill Road. The proposals were intended to make these roads better for walking and cycling, in particular on Cycle Superhighway 1, while still allowing residents to access their homes.
This followed concerns from residents and businesses that increased numbers of vehicles are rat-running along residential roads in the Walford Road area. This would be exacerbated if TfL’s planned changes to the Stoke Newington gyratory go ahead.
The proposed closures would be in line with ambitions in our Transport Strategy to make it easier to walk and cycle in the borough and reclaim our neighbourhoods from the cars, vans and trucks that use them as a rat run.
During the consultation, we consulted on two options:
- option A – permanently closing Barbauld Road at its junction with Albion Road and Allen Road at its junction with Shakespeare Walk
- option B – permanently closing Nevill Road between Osterley Road and Walford Road; Clonbrock Road at its junction with Nevill Road; and, Allen Road at its junction with Nevill Road
Both options would remove rat-running traffic on Walford Road, Brighton Road and Nevill Road.
Full air quality reports showing the impact of the proposals
View the full air quality reports from CERC here:
- phase 1 report, which models the baseline scenario (if the proposals were not implemented)
- appendices to the phase 1 report
- phase 2 report which models air quality in the area if either option A or B were implemented
- appendices to the Phase 2 report
- addendum to the Phase 2 report, showing modelling for the A10 if either option A or B were implemented
- air quality assessment of Walford Road scheme – summary and further analysis
What happens next?
Following the consultation, we will publish the consultation responses as well as the decision at consultation.hackney.gov.uk. If, following this public consultation, the Council decides to proceed with this proposal, a statutory process will be carried out to implement it. If approved, it is anticipated that the closures could be implemented by March 2020.
If the proposals are implemented, we will carry out a new set of traffic surveys between 6–9 months after implementation and report on traffic levels in the area.
We will also continue to monitor air quality in the area.