Volunteer in Hackney
Volunteering is when you choose to give your time, talents and energy unpaid, to help others. Get involved with your local community by helping one of the many organisations that rely on volunteers to deliver their services. A growing number of Hackney residents already volunteer regularly and you could join them.
On this page:
How you can get involved in volunteering
- Volunteer Centre Hackney lists the latest volunteering opportunities in Hackney – you can search for a role that suits you, and if you are a charity or community group, promote your own volunteering roles
- our targeted preventative services provide support for vulnerable people in Hackney and support for people in temporary accommodation – you can get involved with activities such as helping out in the office, organising events, escorting and working one-to-one with people who need befriending or support
- volunteer in Hackney’s parks and get involved in food-growing, physical activities, gardening, nature sessions and more
Why you should volunteer
When you volunteer you will not only be helping a local group, you’ll be helping the whole community and getting the chance to develop and gain experience. You could volunteer:
- to make a difference
- to meet new people
- to learn new skills
- to have fun
- to get experience needed for a job
- to use your spare time
- to further an interest or a hobby
- because you feel passionate about a cause
- because you, or someone you know, has benefited from the charity’s work
What do volunteers do?
There are lots of community groups and organisations in Hackney that need volunteers, and there will be an organisation in need of your skills. Possible volunteer roles include: administrator, fundraiser, mentor, school governor, trustee, sports coach, special constable, IT support, and gardener. In most cases no specific skills or prior experience is needed; it all depends on what you choose to do. The most important thing is to find something you are passionate about and search for an opportunity to work with a group that you want to give your time to.
Who can volunteer?
Just about everyone can volunteer, no matter what your age or background, or whether you are retired, in work, unemployed, or studying. Some roles may require specific skills or references to be taken up, while others may only be open to people over 18 years old.
If you receive benefits, volunteering should not affect the your claim; but you should discuss this with your advisor at DWP or check Gov.uk’s volunteering page.
Support for voluntary groups
If you’re a small, locally based volunteer led project, find out more about our new initiative:
Hackney Service Centre
- Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and closed Sat and Sun