We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.

Back to top

Variation of premises licence

A premises licence holder may apply to the licensing authority to vary the licence. Variations could include the opening times of the premises, or even changes to the physical shape of the premises covered by the licence. More probably, it will relate to the licensable activities of the licence or conditions attached to the licence.

If your change is minor, you will need to apply for a minor variation.

Apply for a variation


You can also complete and post an application form:

Minor variation

Under the Licensing Act 2003, premises licence holder and club premises certificate holders can make minor alteration to their premises licence.

Under this process, the applicant is not required to advertise the variation in a newspaper or copy it to responsible authorities. However, they must display it on a white notice (to distinguish it from the blue notice used for full variations and new applications). The notice must be displayed for a period of 10 working days starting on the working day after the minor variation application was given to the licensing authority.

On receipt of an application for a minor variation, the licensing authority will consider whether the variation could impact adversely on the licensing objectives. In the case of minor variations, there is no right to a hearing (as there would be for a full variation or new application), but licensing authorities take any representations into account in arriving at a decision.

Interested parties have 10 working days from the ‘initial day’, ie the day after the application is received by the licensing authority, to submit representations. The licensing authority will wait until this period has elapsed, before determining the application at the latest within 15 working days, beginning on the first working day after the authority received the application. The minor variation may be either granted or refused.

Apply for a minor variation


You can also complete and post an application form:

To apply for minor variation you will need to submit:

  • a completed application form
  • plans, if applicable
  • a copy of the current premises licence or a statement as to why it is not included
  • the appropriate fee, which is currently £89
Page updated on: 3 July 2019

Licensing Service


Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY


Opening times

  • Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm (reception opening hours) Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm (phone calls)