Coronavirus – business support and advice
On this page:
We’re committed to supporting local businesses to recover and thrive post Covid-19. To support our micro and small businesses to be inclusive, innovative and resilient traders through this critical recovery and rebuilding period, we are developing a programme of business support.
We are launching a range of initiatives to support businesses and this page will be updated regularly with new information.
To have your say in shaping the future of business support in Hackney, fill in this quick survey to tell us what you think.
The High Streets & Town Centres Fund
Using Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) funding that the Council received from the government, £500,000 has been made available for eligible businesses to deliver projects and initiatives that increase resident and business engagement in high streets, encourage spending in local shops and businesses and bolster the recovery and resilience of our high streets and town centres.
Businesses can apply individually for up to £10,000, or in partnership with other businesses or other high street partners (eg. local community groups, charities, voluntary and community sector organisations) for up to £50,000 for projects that will be delivered between April 2022 to December 2022.
What we will fund
We will fund projects that make our high streets and town centres more attractive, accessible and inclusive, increase resident and business engagement in our high streets and town centres, and drive spending and footfall in local independent businesses. We are inviting applications for projects that will be delivered by town centre and high street businesses, or groups of businesses, under the following themes:
- cultural and community engagement
- resilient and revitalised places
- celebrating nightlife
- a connected local economy
- sustainable and greener places
- inclusive, accessible and safe streets
Our Corporate Equality and Cohesion Policy provides a framework for equalities and diversity which underpins our work. In administering this grant fund we will adhere to the objectives set out in this policy which are: 1. Increase prosperity for all and tackle poverty and socio-economic disadvantage 2. Tackle disadvantage and discrimination that is linked to a protected characteristic, and 3. Building a cohesive and inclusive borough.
How much can you apply for
The High Streets & Town Centres fund will invest £500,000 into our local high streets and town centres. We will give grants to:
- individual businesses can apply for a maximum grant of £10,000
- partnership applications of 3 or more businesses or organisations for a maximum grant of £50,000
You can apply if your business:
- is based in and trading in Hackney (including market traders)
- is a micro or small business, defined for the purposes of this funding as having 49 or less employees
- is located on a high street or in a town centre in Hackney – this is defined as a major, district or local centre in the Hackney Local Plan, in the Central Activities Zone, or in the Hackney Wick Neighbourhood Centre and is displayed on the map on this page
- is part of a partnership of businesses (that meet the below criteria) submitting a shared application – partnerships should include 3 or more businesses that:
- are separate organisations
- are from the same town centre or high street area in Hackney
How to use this map
Areas in orange shading represent the high streets and town centres eligible for this fund. Use the toggles on the upper right corner to zoom into the map to see if your business is eligible.
Please read the fund guidance carefully for full details on eligibility, dates and criteria.
- applications open: 3 December 2021
- applications close: 9 January 2022 at 23:59
- applicants notified of outcome by: February 2022
- payments expected*: Early March 2022
- projects complete by: 31 December 2022
*Grant payments will only be made after an applicant has returned their grant agreement and supplied all requested documentation.
How to apply
Read the guidance to make sure you are eligible to apply for the fund and the funding is right for your business. Provided your business is eligible, you can apply using our online application form:
For enquiries and support
Reporting positive cases and outbreaks, and contact tracing
Infection prevention control measures
Health, safety and wellbeing
Love Hackney, Shop Local
Retail, leisure and hospitality businesses in the borough can receive support through our new shop local initiative and business directory.
If you would like to be part of the Love Hackney, Shop Local campaign email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details and a business participation pack.
London Business Hub has brought together essential resources to help your business manage and mitigate its exposure to the impact of coronavirus. This includes:
- one-to-one advice and support to help London businesses face the challenges of COVID-19. Book a call
- factsheets and guides brought to you by the London Growth Hub to help your business respond to the COVID-19 outbreak
- checklists to prepare your business
- external guidance from The British Chambers of Commerce, ACAS, UK Hospitality, The Association of British Insurers and other leading industry experts
- links to sector-specific support