One Account unavailable
We’re working to resolve the problems with the One Account as quickly as possible. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Hackney SHINE – energy advice
Hackney SHINE energy advice has been set up to help residents keep well and warm throughout the year and avoid cold-related conditions during winter and anxiety over paying the fuel bills, which can lead to ill health, extra visits to the GP and hospital admissions.
Who should I refer to Hackney SHINE?
Hackney SHINE is for people over 65, low income families with children under 5, the disabled and people with respiratory and cardiovascular conditions, but anyone who thinks that they need help can contact us.
Please note that referrals via our online form or email@example.com are currently unavailable. Please call 0800 281 768 to make a referral.
One referral to Hackney SHINE leads to an assessment for all of these services, making sure you or your client receive the best possible care:
Energy advice and affordable warmth
- domestic energy and bills advice helping you to keep well and warm in the home
- free home energy visits for eligible residents
- eligibility checks for the warm home discount helping with winter energy costs
- advice and assistance with utility debts
- tariff and supplier switching advice
- sign-up for priority service registers for power, gas and water suppliers
Making the most of income
- home benefit checks for disabled and older residents – making sure that residents claim all the benefits they’re entitled to
- sign-posting to other advice and support on benefits and entitlements
- sign-posting to help and support with other debts and financial problems
- London Taxicard – subsidised taxi journeys for those with severe mobility or visual impairments
- eligibility checks for the Thames Water ‘Watersure’ scheme providing help with water bills
- handyperson service – low cost repairs in the home for disabled residents and over 55s
- heating and condensation surveys – for council tenants
- private sector housing action on damp and cold hazards for private tenants
- private sector housing grants for vulnerable home owners
- disabled facilities grant – funding for adaptations in the home
- falls assessment – reducing falls risk amongst vulnerable individuals
- floating Support to help vulnerable residents with housing issues
Health and wellbeing
- information and advice on staying cool and well during hot weather
- Telecare and community alarm service – helping maintain safety and independence in the home
- fire safety check – free checks and smoke detector installations from the Fire Brigade
- medication review – ensuring that vulnerable residents are on the right medication
- AirTEXT – air pollution alerts for residents with respiratory ill-health
- free eye tests – for housebound people
- befriending – various services including home visiting and escorting service for housebound and isolated residents
- signposting for Flu jabs and NHS Health Checks for those aged 40 to 74
Energy Company Obligation funding
We’ll be working with energy companies to deliver the next round of Energy Company Obligation (ECO) funding to help make energy saving improvements for vulnerable residents in private accommodation in Hackney.