Household bin collections
Changes to rubbish collections
Changes to rubbish collections were introduced from March 2021.
On this page:
Find out when your waste and recycling is collected:
If your waste and recycling was not collected on your scheduled day, find out how to report it as missed:
Request new bins and bags for your waste and recycling if you need them:
You can recycle most waste. Put it in your bins and bags for:
Only throw away rubbish that cannot be recycled.
Black general waste bin collections
If your collections are every fortnight, put non-recyclable waste in your black wheelie bin.
We will only collect general waste if:
- it’s put out by 6am on your collection day
- your bin is at the front of your property and inside your property boundary – for example, inside your front gate
- you use the black bin we gave you or a bin with a Hackney sticker on it
- it’s inside the bin with the lid closed – we do not collect rubbish bags left next to the bin
Only put your bin on the pavement if there is no space on your property.
To find out more about bin collections, read:
Weekly kerbside sack collections
A small number of properties have a weekly sack collection. We collect your rubbish and recycling from the front of your property, at street level.
- put out your bin or sacks by 6am on your collection day
- place your bin or sacks inside the edge of your property, not on the pavement
- make sure sacks are firmly tied and not overfilled
You cannot get replacement bins or sacks if you get a weekly rubbish collection.
We send waste that cannot be recycled to Edmonton EcoPark. This ensures very little waste goes to landfill. It also generates energy to power homes and businesses in north London.
Visit North London Waste Authority for further information.
To report collection crew behaviour (good or bad) please email email@example.com.
We will collect clinical waste from residential properties. We can collect on a regular basis or as a one-off.
There is a charge for this service. You should arrange a referral by your GP or hospital for a collection.
You must arrange a collection for:
- surgical waste
- used syringes
- drugs and pharmaceuticals
You must not put clinical waste in your normal waste or recycling bins. Sanitary items are not classified as clinical waste.
To organise a clinical waste collection:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 020 8356 6688