Roads, streets and pavements

Which roads do we manage?

We have a responsibility to keep all the public roads and pavements within the borough safe for everyone to use. However, we do not own all the roads within the borough. We can only maintain 'adopted' highways, where we have taken on the legal responsibility for maintenance.

We do not maintain trunk roads or red routes; they are owned and maintained by Transport for London (TfL) so contact them directly to report a problem.

Applying for road closures and diversions 

Sometimes works on the highway, or some large deliveries, require a road to be temporarily closed to general traffic. Depending on the type of request a site meeting is usually needed to then issue a traffic regulation order.

The meeting involves the person or company applying and representatives of the Council, the Metropolitan Police and, if the road closure is on a bus route, the bus company. We have to issue a traffic regulation order to allow this to happen.

If you would like to close your road, please contact Suresh Prajapati by email, phone or post.

Phone: 020 8356 8374
Post: Hackney Council, Public Realm Division, Streetscene (Network & Transportation), Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, London, E8 1DY

Temporary traffic restrictions

A temporary traffic restriction is a legal order we can make under the Road Traffic (Temporary Restrictions) Act 1991.

You can apply for one to, for example, close a road to traffic, amend the parking restrictions on a road, or change a one-way road to two-way or vice versa. We can place restrictions on a road, cycle lane or footpath. We process all applications for temporary traffic restrictions in Hackney except ones required on a red route.

We'll advise you on a diversionary route for the affected traffic. We use our own temporary traffic restrictions to accommodate street works, construction works and in some cases for street parties or festivals.

Application processing fees

Type of restriction

Notice period


Cost from 1 April

Road closure and footway closure planned works

6 weeks

Up to 5 days


Up to 1 month


Up to 3 month


Up to 6 month


Up to 12 month


Up to 18 month


Road closure and footway closure emergency or urgent works


Up to 5 days


Up to 21 days


Crane, cherry picker licence

2 weeks

Up to 1 week


For each additional week add


Oversail licence

2 weeks

Up to 3 month


Up to 6 month


Up to 9 month


Up to 12 month



4 weeks

Up to 3 days


Street event (commercial)


1 day


Street event (community)


1 day


How to apply

Temporary traffic restriction order

There are certain conditions you will need to meet leading up to the start of your work - some of which need to be completed up to six weeks before you start works - so please read the terms and conditions.

If you want to apply to restrict traffic on a red route please email TfL.

Street works licence

If you want to excavate the public highway to install or maintain cables, ducts and pipes or other apparatus and can't do so under a statutory undertaker's licence, you'll need to apply for a licence under section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act.

Once you've got a licence, you must comply with the New Roads and Street Works Act and its associated secondary legislation and Codes of Practice so it's important that you or any appointed contractors are familiar with the legislation and have the appropriate accreditation. If you apply for a licence and don't comply with the relevant legislation you may be fined. 

It is compulsory to provide approved provisional advance authorisation (PAA) when undertaking utilities work on public highway.

New Roads and Street Works Act

You must notify the Council of your intended works by emailing We require notification in accordance with the London wide permit scheme.

Submitting the form above does not serve as a notification of intended works under the London wide permit scheme, nor will it confirm an early start. Early starts will be addressed by the permitting section.

Highway licence

If you want to place scaffolding, hoarding, building materials, containers or temporary cross-overs on the public highway you will need to apply for a highways licence.

Parking suspensions

If you want to suspend parking bay you'll need to apply for a parking suspension.


Generally the walls and fences that surround property and fields are erected and maintained by the land owner. We maintain and repair:

  • walls supporting the structure of the highway - highway retaining walls
  • walls retaining land that has been excavated in cutting to form a highway parapet wall on bridges
  • walls providing a safety barrier for example a steep drop at the other side of the wall

Let us know if there is a problem with one of these walls:

Report a problem with a wall

Page updated: 27/11/2018 15:37:36