We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.
Registered parks, gardens and London squares
Registered parks and gardens
There are three historic parks in Hackney on Historic England’s register of parks and gardens of special historic interest:
All three registered parks in Hackney are grade II listed – parks and gardens which by reason of their historic layout, features and architectural ornaments considered together make them of special interest.
As well as major parks like Clissold Park and Hackney Downs, Hackney has a large number of formal and informal green spaces in the form of squares and other planted areas.
The London Squares Preservation Act 1931, provides for the protection of eighteen ‘squares’ in Hackney, including smaller areas such as Mare Street Triangle and the garden enclosure at the junction of Albion Road with Clissold Crescent. The 1931 Act states that a protected square may not be used for any purposes other than an ornamental garden, pleasure ground or ground for play, rest or recreation, and that no building, structure or erection shall be created or placed on or over any protected square except such as may be necessary or convenient for the use or maintenance of the square for an authorised purpose.
Hackney local plan policies affecting London Squares
We won’t normally permit development which detracts from the character and amenity of the London Squares and will use our powers to ensure that the uses in the squares and/or the development of adjacent areas enhances their appearance.
Protected London Squares in Hackney are:
- 26 – Clapton Common (in front of Nos 37-67) – grass enclosure
- 27 – Clapton Common (in front of Nos 56-94) – grass enclosure
- 28 – Stamford Hill Strips – grass enclosure
- 29 – Stoke Newington Church St in front of Nos 207-223) – triangular area
- 30 – Albion Road (at junction with Clissold Crescent) – triangular garden enclosure
- 31 – Shacklewell Lane (junction with St Mark’s Rise and Cecilia Road) – triangular enclosure and green
- 32 – Fasset Square – central garden enclosure
- 33 – Clapton Square – central garden enclosure
- 34 – Cassland Crescent (in front of 11-39 Cassland Road) – garden enclosure
- 35 – Kenton Road (at junction with Valentine Road and Bentham Road) – triangular enclosure
- 36 – St Thomas’s Square – central garden and enclosure
- 37 – Mare Street triangle (at junction with Westgate Street) – triangular enclosure
- 38 – Goldsmiths Square (at rear of Teale Street buildings) – recreation ground
- 39 – Albion Square – central garden enclosure
- 40 – Stonebridge Common (at junction of Haggerston Road and Mayfield Road) – triangular enclosure
- 41 – De Beauvoir Square – central garden and enclosure
- 172 – Hoxton Square – central garden enclosure
- 173 – Charles Square – central garden enclosure
- 174 – Windsor Terrace (junction with City Road) – enclosure