A petition asks the council to change or take action on something.
This page does not cover statutory petitions such as referendums on the council’s governance arrangements.
Anybody can submit a petition to the council. It must be signed by at least ten people who live, work or study in Hackney.
The petition must have a ‘petition leader’. They are the point of contact for the council and present the petition to the relevant meeting.
Submit a petition in one of the following ways:
- paper petitions are sent to Governance Service, 1 Reading Lane, Hackney, London E8 1EA
- scanned copies of the petition are emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not accept petitions created on third party websites because the council is not able to verify that such petitions comply with the Petition Scheme requirements.
Petitions submitted to the council must include:
- a clear and concise statement covering the subject of the petition which states in unambiguous terms what action you want the council to take
- the name and address of persons supporting the petition
- the name and contact details of the Petition Leader
The council will take into account identifiable signatures of people that provide valid addresses providing they live, work or study within Hackney. Personal details are not published.