Pay your Council Tax
Payments are due on the first day of each month for people who have not arranged to pay by direct debit.
Before we send formal legal notices, when possible, we send text messages and emails to remind residents when their payments are overdue.
By law, everyone has the right to pay their council tax by monthly instalments unless that right has been lost.
On this page:
Direct debit is the easiest way to pay your council tax. You just pick a payment date that suits you (1st, 14th, 21st or 28th of the month) and your payment is automatically debited from your account each month.
You can pay your council tax using your debit or credit card by calling 020 8356 5050.
We accept payment from: Switch, Visa, Maestro, Visa Electron, Mastercard and Solo cards.
PayM is a simple and secure way to send and receive payments.
Using your mobile banking app and Hackney’s PayM mobile phone number.
To pay by PayM, just follow these three easy steps:
- Enable PayM on your mobile banking app. Visit PayM for more detailed instructions for your own bank and to check that they offer PayM
- Save the London Borough of Hackney’s mobile payment number, 07535 844 354, to your mobile phone contacts
- Using your mobile banking app set up a PayM payment:
- select the account you want to debit
- choose the London Borough of Hackney from your contacts list
- enter the amount you want to pay
- enter you council tax reference number and submit the payment
When the payment has been made, you will receive a confirmation message on your mobile device.
Pay by debit card, credit card or cash using the barcode printed on your bill at the Hackney self-service payment centre: 72 Wilton Way, Hackney, London, E8 1BJ
We’re open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
Please note the new address.
You can send a cheque to Christopher Addison House, 72 Wilton Way, E8 1BJ. You should write clearly your reference number on the reverse of the cheque. Please do not send cash through the post.
You can pay your council tax bill by cash or cheque at some bank branches and post offices.
You will need to use the payment slips given with your payment booklet.
Please check your local branch or post office for opening hours, which may be different to normal opening hours.
There should be no charge for this. Although, some banks may charge if you are making a payment at a bank other than your own.
Important: you must make sure that we receive your instalments on or before the dates shown on your bill. This means that you should allow:
- 6 extra days if you pay by cheque at the post office
- 3 extra working days if you pay by cash at the post office or through your bank
Even if we receive your payments later that same month, we may still send you reminders or final notices.
You can pay your council tax in person at any PayPoint outlet using the barcode on your bill.
If you receive a bill that requests immediate payment in full that you can’t afford. A reminder notice or final notice, please use this form:
Council tax contact line
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday – 9am to 5pm (telephone)
- Wednesday – 9am to 4pm (telephone)