Parking products and services privacy notice
This privacy notice sits beneath the Council’s top level privacy notice and provides information about how personal data is used by our parking service in respect of parking products and services including:
- parking permits
- disabled bays
- pay & display refunds
Please see the main privacy notice for details on your rights and who to contact about use of personal data.
On this page:
We collect the following information about you:
- telephone number(s)
- email address
- date of birth
- blue badge number
- vehicle registration number
We are able to do this because legislation says we must do it and the processing is necessary for compliance with legal obligations. The main rules are contained in:
- Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984
- Traffic Management Act 2004
- Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970
- Equalities Act 2010
If we’re processing your data to provide you with a parking permit, our lawful basis for doing this is that the processing is necessary to enter into and for the performance of a contract to which you are party, ie supplying your parking permit or parking ticket.
The purposes for which your data will be used are as follows:
- we use your name, address and date of birth to assess your entitlement to the product(s) you have applied for
- we use your date of birth to ensure that you automatically receive any age-related discounts that apply to the products you are purchasing
- we use your blue badge number and expiry date to ensure that you are able to apply for any products that are only available to blue badge holders and to automatically apply any blue badge-related discounts that apply to the products you are purchasing
- we use your vehicle registration to confirm your vehicle’s validity to park and to confirm your entitlement for the products you have applied for
- we use your email address and address to contact you about any products or services you have ordered and to remind you when your permit is due to expire – we also use your address to carry out disabled bay audits and confirm your residency for consultation purposes
- we share information with the police or security organisations to prevent or detect crime
- we use your data to understand parking patterns and demand in Hackney, which inform the development of policies that will support the council’s strategic aims as laid out in the parking enforcement plan and other strategic plans
We may share your information with:
- companies that provide systems and services to us
- other local authorities
The information will be shared internally for the better performance and efficiency of Council services.
In order to make the process of obtaining a permit or vouchers as simple and easy as possible, we will try to confirm that you live at the address stated in your application automatically. To do this we will check the details you supply against the council’s customer database. If we have no record of you, we will pass this information to a credit reference agency, who will check the details you supply against databases they have access to. A record of the search will be retained but will not be visible to other parties and will not affect your credit record.
We also check your vehicle registration against DVLA records.
If we are able to automatically confirm your residency and DVLA information where required, and no other proofs are required, your application will be automatically approved.
Data will be stored for a period of six years after the expiry of your parking product or service.
Please see our main privacy notice for more details on your right:
- to be informed
- to access your personal data
- to rectify your personal data
- to restrict our processing of your personal data
- to object to processing of your data
- in relating to automated decision making
For details on how to contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer and the ICO about the way that we use your data, please see our main privacy notice.