Emergency out of hours social work service
Our emergency social work service responds in crisis situations at weekends and on bank holidays and after 5pm on weekdays.
On this page:
- for emergency social care relating to adults including older people and people with disabilities please call 020 8356 2300
- for mental health services contact the City and Hackney 24 hour mental health crisis line on 020 8432 8020
- for emergency social work services for children (aged 0-18 years), please call 020 8356 2710
If the social worker is unavailable, you will be able to leave a message.
- Monday to Friday, 5pm to 9am
- 24 hours at weekends and on bank holidays
What does the service deal with?
Hackney and City of London residents’ non-medical emergency social care needs, such as:
- emergency mental health needs, including assessments
- welfare needs of vulnerable people in custody
- emergency needs assessments for older people and people with physical and learning disabilities
- child protection issues, including homeless children and young people within the requirement of the 1989 Children’s Act, and urgent needs assessment
- information and advice
What can you expect?
- a response to, and action concerning your referral within two hours – although 85% of all referrals are dealt with in one hour
- professional response to your situation
- appropriate action
Who can access the service?
Anyone in Hackney or the City of London.
Page updated on: 22 April 2022
Emergency Out of Hours Social Work Service
- Mon to Fri: 5pm - 9am
- 24 hours at weekends and Bank Holidays.
- The service operates from 5pm and only deals with issues that arise after 5pm.
*Please note that there is only one officer on duty at a time. In the absence of a social worker please leave your phone number and other essential details on the answering machine and you will be re-contacted as soon as possible.