We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.

Register to vote

Register by 26 November to vote in the general election on 12 December.

Making changes to your tenancy

To request any changes to your tenancy, contact our Neighbourhood Contact Centre or visit our Neighbourhood Housing Office.

Tenancy condition changes

If there is a change to your tenancy conditions, we will consult with secure and introductory tenants to tell you what changes we are seeking. We will ask you your views and then decide whether to go ahead with the change. If any changes are made, we will give you notice of the date the change will come into force.

Change of name on your tenancy

You may need to change your name on your tenancy, for example, if you have changed your name by deed poll or because you have recently married and taken your partners name.

You will need to complete a change of name application form and provide relevant documentation such as a deed poll certificate or marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Apply for a joint tenancy

A joint tenancy is when two or more adults (aged 18 or over) are named on the tenancy agreement. Joint tenants have equal rights and responsibilities under the tenancy agreement for the whole of the tenancy. They are both responsible, together and individually, for keeping to these tenancy conditions and paying amounts due to us. Applying for a joint tenancy is at our discretion.

You may want to share the responsibilities of your tenancy with your spouse, civil partner or co-habiting partner (co-habiting partners must have lived together at the property for a minimum of 12 months).

Transfer your tenancy to a family member

In some circumstances, it is possible to transfer your tenancy to a spouse, partner or family member, this is known as assignment. You can only transfer your tenancy to a family member with our approval. A tenancy can be assigned by:

  • giving away your tenancy to someone who would be entitled to succeed the property on your death
  • swapping your tenancy with another council or housing association tenant, this is known as mutual exchange
  • a  court order as part of a divorce or family proceedings.

Pass on your tenancy when you die

A partner or adult family member may be able to take over your tenancy if you die, this is known as succession. Your tenancy will automatically transfer to any remaining joint tenant. If there is no remaining joint tenant, the tenancy can pass to someone who has a legal right under the Housing Act 1985 (as amended) to take it over, as long as the tenancy did not pass to you by succession.

If nobody is entitled to succeed to your tenancy, we will serve a notice to end the tenancy. If you live at the property but do not succeed to the tenancy, you will have to move out and find your own accommodation. In certain circumstances the Council may consider a discretionary tenancy under our lettings policy.

Ending your tenancy

Your tenancy can be ended if:

  • you give us at least four weeks’ notice in writing
  • you are evicted by us
  • we need to move you, for example, to redevelop the property

If only one of you wants to end the tenancy and the other joint tenant(s) wants to remain in the property, we may agree to:

  • give the remaining person a new tenancy at the same property, but this will be dependent on a number of factors
  • if we do not agree to give the tenancy to the person remaining, we may seek possession of the property
  • not give them a new tenancy, for example, the property could be offered to another couple or family
Page updated on: 18 July 2019

Neighbourhood Contact Centre