We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.

Register to vote

Register by 26 November to vote in the general election on 12 December.

Home contents insurance

Why do I need it?

The Council doesn’t cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. As such, it’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for, to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen, so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

Pay As You Go home contents insurance

We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, who provide specialist tenant contents insurance policies. Their contents insurance scheme is provided by Allianz Insurance plc.

Who is this policy for?

All tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply for Pay As You Go contents insurance. It can offer you insurance for the contents of your home, including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Reasons to choose Pay As You Go home contents insurance

  • no excess (you don’t pay the first part of the claim)
  • covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
  • covers tenants improvements (up to £2,000)
  • covers contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £2,000)
  • covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
  • covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen

The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the policy. There’s more information in the policy document, which you should read carefully.

If you’re unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact us on 020 8356 3100.

Apply for home contents insurance

To apply, please complete an application form:

You can also apply by calling 020 8356 3100.

Before making an application, please read the following documents for important information on your rights, how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover:

Please note that the insurance policy we provide is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

Complaints process

We always aim to get things right first time and we’re committed to ensuring that we achieve the highest level of service for our customers. If you feel this hasn’t happened, we would like to hear about it, so that we have an opportunity to put things right for you and to improve our service in the future.

If you have a complaint about the sale or service of your insurance policy:

  • call us on 020 8356 3100
  • write to: Rent Section, Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, London E8 1DY
  • email:

Alternatively, a copy of Thistle’s complaint’s procedure is available on request. For additional information, view Thistle’s complaints process.

If you have a complaint relating to your policy, please contact the Allianz Customer Satisfaction Manager at:

Allianz Insurance plc
PO Box 10623
LE18 9HJ

Tel: 0330 102 1781
Fax: 01483 529 717

Page updated on: 17 October 2019

Insurance Section


4th Floor
Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY