Hackney School Stars
Do you know an inspirational teacher, a long-serving head or an amazing support worker? Hackney school stars is back and a chance for members of the community to nominate any member of schools or early years staff for a special award.
Nominations now closed. The deadline was 31 January 2023.
- Hackney schools star (for all teaching staff, and schools support workers, those who work in schools who aren’t teaching but are delivering a service in a school)
- Lifetime achievement award (for teaching and non-teaching staff who have worked their career in Hackney for over 15 years)
Hackney schools star
Teachers have some of the most challenging but extremely rewarding jobs. We want to make sure that they get the recognition they deserve. We’re looking for outstanding teachers who continually strive for their pupils, support them to achieve, who have improved results, who are innovative and forward thinking, and make a real mark on our children and young people. What they do shapes and changes lives.
But it’s not just teachers who make a good impression on children, parents and carers; whether they are staff who are cooking meals, cleaning, managing facilities and keeping things running, caring for our early years children, providing brilliant clubs or special educational services – without these dedicated staff – schools would struggle to reach the high standards we expect. Often in the background, these members of staff are essential to meet all of our children’s needs on a daily basis.
This award is to recognise a teacher or schools staff who has proved their dedication and commitment to Hackney. They’ll have served over 15 years in their organisation or in service to children in Hackney. The judges will be looking for someone who has made an outstanding contribution to the borough, and deserves recognition for being an amazing ambassador over their years of service.
Thank you to everyone who attended online – whether through our event platform or Youtube – and made the evening so special.
It was really uplifting for Mayor Glanville and Chief Executive, Tim Shields, to hear about the fantastic work of everyone shortlisted in 2020/21.
The awards reinforced how special our staff and Schools staff in Hackney are – every day you go above and beyond to help better our borough.
Here are the winners, and shortlisted staff:
Teacher of the year
- Anna Feltham, Headteacher, Clapton Girls’ Academy
- Babar Mirza, Headteacher, The Olive School, Hackney
- Hannah Preedy, History Teacher/ year 7 Tutor, Stoke Newington School & Sixth Form (Winner)
- Jane Betsworth, Headteacher, Millfields Community School
- Jo Riley, Headteacher, Randal Cremer Primary School
- Jo Smith, Deputy Headteacher, St John and St James Hackney
- Francine Corbin, Curriculum Manager SEND, New City College Hackney
- Helen Edwards, Academy Business Leaders
- Katherine Middleton, School Counsellor, Betty Laywood Primary School
- Kerry Joseph, Business Manager, Jubilee Primary School
- Lucy Davis, Designated Safeguarding Lead, The Garden School, Hackney
- Sharon Hussey, Early Years Educator, Wentworth Nursery School and Children’s Centre (Winner)
- Paul Ebblewhite, Data Manager, Clapton Girls School
- Betty Ukwunnah, Teaching Assistant, Gainsborough Primary School (Winner)
- Teresa Brown, Teaching Assistant, Haggerston School