Give notice

Nearly all couples must give notice before they can be married or form their civil partnership in England or Wales. Some people can give notice for a marriage or civil partnership abroad.

You and your partner must attend an appointment at a register office and show the required documents. The notice is a legal document and one must be signed by each person giving notice. Your notice must state where the ceremony will take place, so make sure that you can give the registrar the name and address of the venue. If you change your mind after the appointment, you will have to give notice (and pay) again.

Page updated on: 24 January 2022



Registration Services
Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY