The Council is responsible for issuing a range of permits and notices for gambling activities and granting premises licences for:

  • casinos
  • bingo halls
  • betting shops
  • adult gaming centres
  • family entertainment centres


  • premises licence – apply for a new grant, variation, transfer, reinstatement and review of a premises licence. You can also apply for a provisional statement
  • gambling permits – apply for permits for alcohol-licensed premises, unlicensed family entertainment centres, clubs and prize gaming
  • small society lotteries – find out what you need to do to set up a small society lottery (SSL).
  • gambling notices – apply for a temporary use notice (TUN) or an occasional use notice (OUN)

Gambling statement

Our gambling statement sets out the principles we apply in deciding applications. It is based on guidance from the Gambling Commission and the licensing objectives, which are to:

  • prevent gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime
  • ensure that gambling is carried out in a fair and open way
  • protect children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling

Gambling applications

Page updated on: 17 May 2021

Licensing Service


Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY


Opening times

  • Mon to Fri 10am - 1pm and 2pm - 4pm (reception opening hours) Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm (phone calls)