Help with evictions and harassment

This page is for private sector tenants.


Help we can offer

We can:

  • negotiate with your landlord
  • talk to your landlord about your rights
  • prosecute your landlord in serious cases
  • tell your landlord that they are breaking the law
  • help you get back into your home if you’ve been illegally evicted
  • give you support about how to obtain a court injunction through the civil courts
  • help you find alternative accommodation in exceptional circumstances

We will do everything we can to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants, and give advice on your legal rights. 

If the landlord will not cooperate, you may need to go to court to enforce your rights.

Get help if you’re being evicted

Your landlord must follow strict procedures if they want you to leave their property. 

If they do not, they may be guilty of illegally evicting or harassing you.

They must:

  • give you a valid section 21 or section 8 notice
  • get a possession order from court if you haven’t left by the date on the section 21 or section 8 notice
  • ask the court for a warrant of possession if you haven’t left by the date on the possession order
  • get an eviction warrant from the court – this means bailiffs can make you leave your home

If your landlord hasn’t followed the proper steps, you might be able to challenge the eviction and stay in your home.

Visit GOV.UK – learn about the law on evictions and harassment.

The housing charity Shelter has lots of eviction guidance.

Get help if you’re being harassed 

Harassment is something that your landlord, or someone acting on their behalf, does which aims to disrupt your life at home to make you leave.

It includes anything which prevents you from living safely and peacefully in your home.

See the housing charity Shelter – how to deal with harassment from landlords or agents. It includes:

Prosecuting your landlord for an illegal eviction

We only prosecute landlords for an illegal eviction when the evidence justifies it.

A successful prosecution, unlike an injunction, will not enable you to return to the property, get your belongings back, or receive compensation.

Instead, it will result in a court fine or potential imprisonment against the landlord.

Page updated on: 13 June 2023