We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.
The 2010 Equality Act outlaws discrimination against a person on the basis of their sexual orientation. A person’s sexual orientation can be towards the opposite sex (heterosexual), towards the same sex (lesbian or gay), or towards both sexes (bisexual).
The Council is committed to securing equality for people who are lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) and valuing the contribution made by LGB citizens. We are part of Stonewall’s diversity champion programme, which aims to promote the rights of LGB people in the workplace and in service provision.
Stonewall’s annual workplace equality index showcases Britain’s top employers for lesbian, gay and bisexual staff. In 2014 we were ranked 66th in the top 100 organisations.
Out and About, our staff forum for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, helps people share their concerns, promote best practice, support each other and raise awareness.
For more information on sexual orientation, see the Hackney profile.
Anyone can find themselves discriminated against on the basis of their sexual orientation. But discrimination is more common against people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.
The following statistics, from working for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality provide an illustration:
- 65% of LGB secondary school pupils experience homophobic bullying at school
- 20% LGB people think they have been harassed at work because of their sexual orientation
- Transgender people highlight transitioning at work as one of the most significant triggers for discrimination
- Studies suggest that older LGB people find that care homes fail to provide them with a supportive environment
- Between 50% and 90% of LGB people anticipate being discriminated against if they were to run for election as a member of a mainstream political party
- One in five gay or lesbian people have experienced a homophobic hate crime or incident in the last three years
Further information and support
- Switchboard – LGBT+ – a free, confidential helpline for LGBT+ people
- Stonewall campaigns to improve the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in the UK and internationally. It also provides advice to individuals and organisations
- read our paper profiling the needs of LGBT people in Hackney
Provision of goods and services
- discrimination in goods and services, Stonewall
- workplace guides, Stonewall
- sexual orientation monitoring, a guide to good practice: Lesbian and Gay Foundation