Dispute your penalty charge notice
If you are issued with a penalty charge notice (PCN) you have the option to pay or dispute it. You can only dispute a PCN for specific reasons or grounds.
We’re unable to accept disputes over the phone or by email.
The easiest and fastest way to do this is online. Your PCN will be immediately put on hold while we deal with your dispute and there will be no escalation in charges until a decision is made.
There are 2 ways to dispute a PCN depending on its type and length of time since it was issued.
Please see additional information under each stage which explain the stages in more detail:
- informal challenge stage
- formal representation stage
- charge certificate stage
- debt registration stage
- enforcement agent stage
How to dispute a PCN
Visit our PCN system to:
- submit your dispute, together with any evidence you have to support your case
- receive an emailed copy of your submission
- check that an online or postal dispute you have submitted has been received
You can also find out:
- where, when and why you were issued a PCN, including pictures and video
- how much you owe
- when your fine is due to increase, and how much you’ll have to pay
You will need your PCN number (starting QZ) and your vehicle’s registration number to view these details. Your PCN number can be found on the PCN.
For data protection reasons we are unable to provide this number to you on request.