Safeguarding Adults Reviews
While we will be accepting new SAR referrals, cases will be considered after the coronavirus crisis has subsided. All on-going SARs are on hold until further notice.
If you are concerned about someone or if you are experiencing harm
- for people in Hackney – call 020 8356 5782 or email email@example.com
- for people in the City – call 020 7332 1224 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A safeguarding adults review (SAR) is a multi-agency learning process. It aims to identify and promote good practice, effective learning and recommendations for future practice so that deaths or serious harm can be prevented from happening again.
Its purpose is not to investigate how a death or serious incident happened or to hold any individual or organisation to account. Other processes exist for that, including: coroner’s and criminal proceedings, disciplinary procedures, employment law and systems of service and professional regulation, such as CQC and the Nursing and Midwifery Council, the Health and Care Professions Council, and the General Medical Council.
The City and Hackney Safeguarding Adults Board must arrange a SAR:
- when an adult in its areas dies as a result of abuse or neglect, whether known or suspected, and there is concern that partner agencies could have worked more effectively to protect the adult
- if an adult in its area has not died, but the board knows or suspects that the adult has experienced serious abuse or neglect – eg the individual would have been likely to die but for an intervention, or has suffered permanent harm or has reduced capacity or quality of life (whether because of physical or psychological effects) as a result of the abuse or neglect
- in any other situations involving an adult in its area with needs for care and support
Make a SAR referral
Any individual (member of the public or professional) or agency, may refer a case using the referral form below. Please read the guidance before making a referral.
- CHSAB-SAR-referral-form [doc, 34.54KB]
- local safeguarding adult review (SAR) protocol
- safeguarding adult review quality markers checklist
- SAR leaflet for families