If you’re worried about a child or young person

If you’re worried about the welfare of any child or young person living in Hackney, you can contact the First Access and Screening Team (FAST) for advice and guidance.

If you have safeguarding concerns about a child who lives in Hackney, contact FAST directly 9am to 5pm, Monday – Friday, except bank holidays:

Outside of the above hours, the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) can be contacted on 020 8356 2710.

If you are in any doubt as to the immediate safety of any child call 999.


If you’re making a referral in a professional capacity, FAST will make contact with you once a decision has been made on the referral and inform you of any allocation for assessment.

Where applicable the allocated social work unit will follow up with you during and at the conclusion of any statutory assessment of need and risk.

Except in cases where it is felt a child may be at immediate risk of harm, parents or carers should be notified that a referral to CYPS has been made.

A good referral includes information about:

  • your role and relationship to the child/family
  • your concerns described clearly and concisely, include how you became aware of an issue

If there was an incident:

  • what happened?
  • where did it happen?
  • when did it happen?

Information about the family including contact details:

  • your contact details
  • does the child/family know you are contacting FAST about your concerns?
  • have other options been considered?

More information

Page updated on: 2 September 2019

Children and Young People’s Access and Assessment Social Work Service


Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY