Marriage, civil partnership and other ceremonies

Congratulations, celebrating a commitment to a loved one is a wonderful occasion and we look forward to helping you to arrange your ceremony.

Marriage and civil partnership is for opposite sex couples and same sex couples. You can arrange a civil (non-religious) ceremony in a building licensed for civil ceremonies, or a religious ceremony in a religious building.

Giving notice

Before you marry or enter a civil partnership, you have to give notice. You will need to have chosen the venue for your ceremony, so it’s best to contact the venue to check they’re available. Otherwise, if you decide to have your ceremony elsewhere you will need to pay and give your notice again.

The minimum waiting period from notice to ceremony is 29 days, with some couples subject to a 71 day wait. The law requires an face to face interview with a registrar to give notice. This can not be given by proxy, in writing, video call, online or any other method.

Civil partnership conversions to marriage

If you have a same sex civil partnership you can convert it to a marriage, even if your civil partnership took place in another district. Please email your completed form to to enquire.

Civil ceremonies

Civil marriage and civil partnership ceremonies must take place in a register office or approved premise which is licensed for civil ceremonies. Civil ceremonies must be conducted by registrars and be strictly non-religious.

There are 2 options for civil ceremonies in Hackney

  1. Contact us to arrange a ceremony in Hackney Town Hall Lanchester Suite
  2. Contact one of our approved premises to arrange your ceremony there

Religious ceremonies

A religious marriage ceremony can take place in a religious building which has been registered for worship and for solemnisation of marriages.

Civil partnerships can be registered in a religious building which has been specially approved and your civil partnership registration may be followed by a separate religious ceremony.

Commitment, renewal of vows and naming ceremonies

We offer other ceremonies such as renewal of vows, commitment and naming ceremonies.

Registering a building for worship

If your religious congregation uses a specific building regularly for worship, you may be able to register that building as a place of worship. You can also apply for it to be a registered place for marriages.

Copy certificates

Marriages and civil partnerships from 1 January 2011

You can order a certificate for a marriage or civil partnership that happened in Hackney from us.

Certificates are charged at a statutory fee of £11 each for standard certificates and £35 each for express order certificates, plus postage fees.

If for any reason we cannot produce your requested certificate, we will process a partial refund instead.

Order a copy certificate

Page updated on: 5 May 2021



Registration Services
Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY