Bereavement support

Official guidance, advice and support to deal with bereavement during this pandemic

Local services offering personal bereavement support

St Joseph’s Hospice offers bereavement support and counselling, individually or with other family members.  This is currently available via telephone, online and a bereavement support forum.

Individuals can request a referral from their GP or other professionals, or contact St Joseph’s First Contact team directly on 0300 3030 0400, email

For adults

City and Hackney Wellbeing Network offers high-quality free support to help people prevent the onset of mental health problems and alleviate issues such as stress, anxiety and low mood, as well as support for adults with severe and enduring mental health conditions.

From May 2020 they will also be providing bereavement support. Complete a referral form or call 020 8525 2301. Services are currently all being delivered remotely.

Derman and Bikur Cholim are both part of the Wellbeing network and provide tailored mental health support for the Turkish-speaking and Charedi communities respectively. They can provide culturally specific bereavement support to these communities.  Contact them via the network or directly using the details below:

Talk Changes is an IAPT (improve accesses to psychological therapies) service commissioned through Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.

Everyone can feel stressed, worried or down from time to time but if this is happening to you and it goes on too long, or you feel like you can’t cope, Talk Changes can help you find ways to manage the thoughts and feelings you have and make changes, so you can live life to the full.

It’s a confidential NHS service for adults registered with a GP in City and Hackney:

For children and young people

City and Hackney Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) provides support and services to children and young people experiencing mental health problems, including bereavement.

Children and young people can be referred by their GP, family support practitioner, health visitor, school staff or social worker by calling 020 3222 5600. Young people who are 16 years or over and who have accessed the service within the last year can also self-refer.

Specialist child and adolescent mental health support is also available for children with disabilities and emotional/behavioural and mental health concerns. Referrals can be made by any professional who knows the child, young person and family on 020 7014 7071. Parents can also contact CAMHS Disability to ask for support.

National helplines and online support and information

Cruse has a range of online coronavirus specific resources covering dealing with bereavement and grief during this pandemic. It covers some of the different situations and emotions bereaved people may have to deal with.  You can also contact them for support via their helpline on 0808 808 1677 (Mon and Fri 9.30-5pm, Tues to Thurs 9.30-8pm, excl. bank holidays) or

For children and young people

Help with funeral costs

There is support available if you need help with the cost of a funeral or need to access bereavement benefits. If you are struggling to pay for a funeral and your only source of funding is the Funeral Expenses Payment (see below), you are advised to tell the funeral director before committing to any arrangements.

Wider mental health support and services

Find out more information on the wider mental health support and services available.

Page updated on: 23 April 2020