Most building work requires approval under the building regulations. These regulations cover work ranging from the installation of a boiler to the erection of multi-million pound projects.
The main areas of control covered by the regulations are:
- structural stability – will the building safely carry anticipated loadings
- fire precautions – controlling the materials used according to the degree of risk and making sure that buildings could be evacuated without loss of life in the event of a fire
- the prevention of dampness and condensation in buildings
- sound resistance of walls and floors between dwellings
- ventilation of habitable rooms and unheated voids
- hygiene, sanitary appliances and drainage
- heating appliances including the safe discharge of flue gasses
- stairways, ramps and vehicle barriers
- access to buildings and facilities for disabled people
- insulation and the conservation of fuel and power
- the safe positioning of glazing in windows and doors
- electrical installations and alterations in dwellings
Do I need building regulations approval?
Building regulations explained
Make an application
There are 3 main types of building control applications:
- full plans application
- building notice application
- regularisation application
The Government publishes approved documents which provide practical guidance on ways to comply with the building regulations.
Each document provides general guidance on expected performance levels of materials and workmanship, and also practical examples and solutions to ensure compliance with common building situations.
They are not the only means of satisfying these requirements. Other ways can include using guidance published by the British Standards Institute, Building Research Establishment among others.
- Approved Document A: Structure
- Approved Document B: Fire Safety
- Approved Document C: Site preparation and resistance to contaminates and moisture
- Approved Document D: Toxic substances
- Approved Document E: Resistance to sound
- Approved Document F: Ventilation
- Approved Document G: Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency
- Approved Document H: Drainage and waste disposal
- Approved Document J: Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
- Approved Document K: Protection from falling, collision and impact
- Approved Document L: Conservation of fuel and power
- Approved Document M: Access to and use of buildings
- Approved Document P: Electrical safety
- Approved Document Q: Security in dwellings
- Approved Document R: High speed electronic communications networks
- Approved Document 7: Material and workmanship
Get in touch
If you are unsure what application you need to apply for or would like to discuss our fees schedule, contact us on the details below.