Spring and summer term
New Age Games returns from Monday 29 April to Monday 22 July. The schedule's almost the same as last term, but with a few changes:
- Brazilian Dance has been changed to Music Movers and the start time has been moved back to 11.15am
- we've had to cancel Swimming for Beginners due to a shortage of suitable teachers - apologies for the inconvenience
- Chair-Based Activity at the Salvation Army on Thursdays will now start at 2.30pm
- we're piloting a new class called Steady Chair-Based Activity (Thursdays, 1.30 to 2.15pm at the Salvation Army), using slower routines and focusing on coordination and balance
- there are no sessions on 6 or 27 May as they're Bank Holidays - the term will finish on a Monday to make up for this
The New Age Games is a sport and physical activity programme for Hackney residents aged 50 and over. It can help you increase the amount of exercise you do and sustain it, contributing to a healthy lifestyle.
There's no need to book - just turn up at the first session. We'll make every effort to accommodate you but participation is on a first come first served basis.
Please print and complete the registration form before attending, and give it to the instructor at the session. If you have any underlying health concerns which could get worse with exercise, they'll give you another form to take to your GP.
See Healthy Hackney for more activities including our One You £1 community-based fitness classes.
Indoor Tennis at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre
Lee Valley Regional Park Authority provide a grant to support our indoor tennis session. They'd like to collect user information via registration and feedback forms to help them do so. They'll be using it to see how well attended the sessions is, and what kinds of people are attending. The session starts again on Thursday 9 May.
Sessions at leisure centres
If you're attending a session at a leisure centre, please make it clear to reception that you are participating in the New Age Games and which session(s) you wish to attend. Please note, New Age Games is a free scheme and you do not need to be a paid member of a Hackney leisure centre to participate.
Britannia Leisure Centre
The first time you attend, reception will ask you for your name and telephone number and will give you a unique number, which you'll need to tell reception each time you attend a New Age Games class - if you're a member of Better, you can use your membership card. You'll still need to register your attendance with the class instructor.
Kings Hall and Queensbridge leisure centres
Staff will direct you through the barrier. You'll need to register with your New Age Games class instructor.
Clissold Leisure Centre
Staff will direct you through the barrier. You'll need to register with your New Age Games class instructor. If attending the water aerobics session, please meet the instructor on the left-hand side of the pool at 9.30am for class registration. Please do not enter the pool before registering with the instructor.
- Aerobic and Tone (a varied aerobic workout to music using dyna bands to improve strength, flexibility and endurance)
- Archery (a low impact session held indoors, max 18 participants)
- Chair-Based Activity (gently builds up your activity levels without putting strain on your arms, legs or hips - for people who've had back, knee or hip surgery, or have very low fitness levels, mobility problems, arthritis or osteoporosis)
- Cycling (learn how to ride or cycle off road; all equipment provided)
- Fit to Tone (a varied aerobic fitness workout to music, focusing on improving strength, endurance and flexibility)
- Move-Ability (a circuit based class designed for people with activity limitations and comprising of a warm up, cardiovascular component, light resistance exercises and a cool down)
- Music Movers (aerobic movement with freestyle group exercise and fitness routines)
- Pilates (max 32 participants)
- Steady Chair-Based Activity (slower routines and focusing on coordination and balance) - please only attend one session per week
- Swimming for Beginners
- Soca Aerobics
- Table Tennis (indoors; singles and doubles)
- Tennis (indoor and outdoor)
- Water Aerobics
- Yoga (max 32 participants)
Find out how the New Age Games programme has helped Hackney residents: