Council buildings are closed to the public. Read the latest information about coronavirus and its impact on services.

Cornavirus – get help and support

If you or someone you know would like assistance from a volunteer, please complete this form.

Ask for help

You can also call our coronavirus helpline on 020 8356 3111 (8am-5pm Monday-Friday). 

Interested in volunteering or donating? Find out how you can help.

Money and financial advice

Money matters for residents receiving care and support

Personal budgets

A personal budget is the amount of money the Council has judged necessary to spend in order to meet your eligible social care needs. It gives you more choice and control over purchasing and arranging the assistance or services you need. See personal budgets.

Direct payments

If you receive community care services from the Council, you can choose to have cash payments to arrange your own help instead of getting services organised by social services. These payments are called direct payments.

Welfare benefits advice and maximising your income

If you are receive care services from the Council, we can offer you help completing the financial assessment form and claiming benefits to maximise your income. If you’d like a home visit from our welfare benefits officer, please contact the care charging team on 020 8356 4738 or speak with your care manager.

Charges for non-residential care services

If you receive community care services from the Council, you will be financially assessed to see if you can pay towards the cost of your service. Only people who can afford to pay will be charged.

Financial assessment

For a financial assessment, please complete and submit the financial assessment form:

Financial arrangements for your stay in a residential or nursing care home

Sometimes living at home is no longer practical and moving into residential or nursing care may be the best option. The majority of people will have to pay something towards the cost of their stay. find out more about the financial aspects of residential and nursing care.

Deferring the cost of your home

If you own your own home, find out about deferring the cost of your home when you enter residential or nursing care:

Choice of accommodation

To find out more about choice of accommodation and third party top ups please see our guide:

Financial assessment

For a financial assessment, please complete and submit the financial assessment form:

The Independent Living Fund (ILF)

The Independent Living Fund (ILF) was set up to provide financial support to disabled people to enable them to live independently. The responsibility for meeting the care and support needs of current ILF users has been transferred to the Council. We will review our support every year to find out if users’ needs are being met and to find out what kind of impact any needs that aren’t being met are having on users’ wellbeing.

In Hackney there are 57 people who currently receive ILF. If you are an ILF user and have any questions please contact us.

Independent financial advice

In addition to the financial advice services provided directly or supported by the Council we can sign post you to a range of options for accessing independent financial advice. Some advisors provide advice on general areas of financial management including for example, savings and pensions. Others may specialise in aspects of financial management that relate to the meeting of your needs for care and support including paying for care.

Page updated on: 5 July 2019

Information and Assessment


Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY

Opening times

  • Mon to Fri: 9am - 5pm