We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.

Internet Explorer users

To ensure that you can access all the features of our new site, please install a newer browser, such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Opera.

Housing with care

Care Quality Commission’s rating

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) re-inspected housing with care in July 2019 and changed the rating of the service from ‘inadequate’ to ‘requires improvement,’ which means the service is no longer in special measures.  The updated rating demonstrates that the service is moving in the right direction, whilst recognising the need for time to continue embedding and sustaining changes across all 14 schemes.

The improvement plan put in place after the previous CQC inspection in December 2018, is being reviewed and updated to include the areas of improvement identified in the latest report, whilst continuing to embed the changes already being made.

We remain focused and committed to improving the quality of the service and to delivering excellent and compassionate care in all housing with care schemes across the borough. We will  continue to work with service users, relatives, staff, stakeholders and the CQC to ensure the best service is provided.

What is housing with care?

Housing with care schemes provide housing that is primarily designed for people age 55 plus who have both housing, support and care needs. Our aim is to provide a comfortable home with the help you need to stay as independent as possible.

The amount of care we provide will depend on what you want us to help you with.

Each self-contained flat has a bedroom, living room, kitchen and shower or bathroom suite. On the ground floor of every scheme there is a lounge with comfortable seating, and a TV.

There are 14 housing with care schemes. Some housing with care schemes specialize in helping people with similar needs, for example schemes for people with learning disabilities, severe memory problems, or those with brain injury.

Security and other facilities

  • each scheme has a 24-hour emergency call system
  • ramped or level access and handrails along corridors
  • lift access to all floors
  • housing support staff on site during week days
  • some schemes have CCTV connected to tenants’ TVs to enable them to see who is at the entrance door
  • at some schemes there will be care staff on site during the day and night – we aim to provide this service in all our schemes in the near future

Staying independent

We can help you in two main ways with housing support and care support:

Housing support

  • there is a housing support worker on site during week days
  • they will help you with your tenancy or access
  • they will help you to services such as arranging repairs, claiming benefits, dealing with security or neighbour problems
  • they will advise you on finding out about local activities and other services

Care support

If you need assistance with daily activities our housing with care workers will come in to help you with care support. For example they can help with things like:

  • going to the toilet
  • bathing
  • dressing
  • making a drink or a snack
  • laundry

Because our aim is to help you remain as independent as possible, we will give you time to do what you can for yourself and only help you with the things you want us to.

Both your housing support worker and homecare worker will discuss your needs with you and agree with you what help you would like. Working closely with you, they will follow the plan agreed.

What are the benefits of housing with care?

  • you will be able to report your repairs to housing maintenance
  • you will have a housing support worker available during week days
  • you will receive care from a permanent care team, based at the scheme
  • the workers are employed by the Council to ensure consistency in the delivery of care to tenants
  • Telecare support and emergency response alarms
  • 24-hour door entry monitoring systems and security access management

Who is eligible for housing with care?

Because we are providing housing for people who have care needs you do not have to go on the general housing list to apply. To be referred for supported housing with care or extra care you need to be assessed by a care manager / social worker.

The acceptance criteria for housing with care is:

  • applicants should be age 55 years or over (unless applying for a scheme with a lower age limit due to the service provided)
  • applicants should be Hackney residents
  • applicants require a domiciliary care package
  • applicants agree to receive care by the housing with care provider in the scheme

How much does a flat in the scheme cost?

The 4 main charges that you will be responsible for paying are: the rent charge, the service charges, the supporting people charge and the care charge.


The rent is charged by the housing association, your landlord. If a tenant is eligible for housing benefit, then this is used to pay the rent. The schemes housing support team will help transfer your housing benefit payments or make a new claim if you have not claimed before.

If the tenant is not eligible for housing benefit; the rent must be paid in full by the tenant.

Service charge

The service charge is paid by the tenant to the landlord. It will include the cost of lighting, water, gas and some maintenance the property. This charge varies in each supported housing scheme and it is based on a yearly cost, payable weekly with the rent charge. The service charge is agreed between the tenants in the scheme and the housing association.

Supporting people charge

The supporting people charge is for the support given to tenants in the scheme by the housing support worker.

If you receive housing benefit you will not pay this charge. If you are not eligible for housing benefit then you pay the supporting people charge.

The care charge

The care charge is paid via Community Services if you are in need of care.

The supporting people charge covers the cost of some of the on site support given by the housing support worker. Allowing for advice and support on repair work, home improvement work and help and advice on developing domestic and life skills.

How do I request a place in the schemes?

If you already have a care manager (social worker) you can discuss it with them.

If you do not have a care manager contact the information and assessment team and request a community care needs assessment.

Page updated on: 1 October 2019

Information and Assessment


Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY

Opening times

  • Mon to Fri: 9am - 5pm