As with all important and complex matters there is a wealth of information that you can look into. This information will assist you with the finer detail of building control matters.
Most building work requires approval under the building regulations. These regulations cover work ranging from the installation of a boiler to the erection of multi-million pound projects.
Are your works exempt from the building regulations?
Find out if your building work is exempt from building regulations.
Local Authority Building Control warranties
The LABC Warranty scheme has been created in partnership between LABC, the representative body for Local Authority Building Control, and MD Insurance Services Limited (MDIS) the company that administers the scheme which is regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA).
The LABC Warranty is a quality service offering specific competitive products for speculative residential housing, social housing and self build.
Visit LABC to get a quotation and to apply.
The Party Wall Act
Matters relating to party walls including disputes are civil matters outside the remit of the local authority.
Competent person schemes
Competent person schemes were introduced by the Government to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting a Building Regulations application.
Building over or within 3 metres of a public sewer
In Hackney, public sewers are the responsibility of Thames Water. If you intend to build over or within 3 metres of a sewer owned by Thames Water (a public sewer), you will need written agreement from Thames Water to do so.
In this instance only full plans applications are permitted. You can't apply for a building notice process.
Thames Water may specify certain conditions regarding the building work as part of the agreement, and will require the payment of a fee to cover maintenance costs etc.
We will inform Thames Water when we receive an application that shows a proposed building or extension over or near a public sewer. Thames Water will write direct to the building owner seeking details and the payment of a fee for the registration process.
Developer Services - Waste
1st Floor Rose Kiln Court
Rose Kiln Lane
Reading RG2 0HP
Tel: 0845 850277
Fax: 0118 9236613 or
External information and guidance
Below are links to various organisations which may assist you with your building project:
- British Board of Agreement (BBA)
- British Standards
- Building Research Establishment (BRE)
- Construction Industry Council (CIC)
- Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE)
- Chartered Institute of Building
- Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)
- Department for Communities and Local Government - to download the Building Regulations free, search under approved documents
- Health and Safety Executive
- Local Authority Building Control (LABC)
- Lead Sheet Association
- National Federation of Roofing Contractors
- Royal Institution of British Architects (RIBA)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Thames Water - do you need consent to build over sewers?
- Timber Research and Development Association (TRADA)
Get in touch
If you have any queries about building control, please contact us by completing the following form or call us on the telephone numbers below: