Each ratepayer has the right to pay their business rates by monthly instalments unless that right has been lost. Business rate payments are due on the 1st of each month.
Ways to pay
The advantages to you of paying by Direct Debit are:
- no wasted time queuing at the bank, or council offices
- no postage to pay each month
- no need to reapply each year as your direct debit stays in place and we will notify you of any changes to the amount to be collected from your account
- it's safe
- under the Direct Debit guarantee we have to give you at least 14 days notice prior to any deductions being taken
- if we make a mistake, you can get full reimbursement from your branch immediately
- you can cancel your Direct Debit at any time
Debit or credit card
You can pay in person by cash or debit / credit card at the Hackney self-service payment centre, 2 Hillman Street (behind Hackney Town Hall), open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday (excluding bank holidays).
We are able to accept payment from the following types of card: Switch, Visa, Maestro, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Solo.
You can pay direct into our bank account. Our bank details are:
Account number: 00362964
Sort code: 30-00-00
Account name: London Borough of Hackney
Please ensure you quote your business rates account reference when making a payment, this can be found on the front of your bill.
PayM is a simple, secure way to send and receive payments using your mobile banking app and Hackney's dedicated PayM mobile phone number.
To pay by PayM, just follow these three easy steps:
- Enable PayM on your mobile banking app. VisitPayM for more detailed instructions for your own bank and to check that they offer PayM
- Save the London Borough of Hackney's mobile payment number, 07535 844 354, to your mobile phone contacts
- Using your mobile banking app set up a PayM payment:
- select the account you want to debit
- choose the London Borough of Hackney from your contacts list
- enter the amount you want to pay
- enter your business rates reference number and submit the payment
When the payment has been made, you will receive a confirmation message on your mobile device.
You can pay by cash or cheque at the bank using the payment slips provided with your payment booklet.
If you are making payment at your own bank, there should be no charge for this facility. However, some banks may charge if you are making a payment at a bank other than your own.
You can send a cheque to Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, London E8 1DY. Please write your reference number on the back of the cheque.
Please do not send cash through the post.
In person at the Hackney self-service payment centre
You can pay in person by cash or debit / credit card at:
Hackney self-service payment centre, 2 Hillman Street (behind Hackney Town Hall), open 9am to 5pm Monday-Friday.
During summer 2017, we asked people about their experience of using the new self-service payment centre. View the results of this survey.