West Reservoir Centre
West Reservoir Water Sports Centre is a water sports and events venue which is located in a picturesque corner of Woodberry Down.
The centre provides the opportunity to take part in sailing and kayaking for adults and children under the watchful eye of expert instructors. It’s operated by Better, a charitable social enterprise, on behalf of the Council.
Below you will find information about the centre’s location, facilities, opening times and accessibility and what’s new. For membership information, please see Better – membership
- sailing and kayaking courses
- seminar room, conference rooms and function room
- waterfront cafe
- open water swimming
- accessible toilet
- accessible parking
- accessible changing facilities
- ramp access
Open water swimming
- non-member: adult – £10 and junior – £5
- pay-and-play member: adult – £7 and junior – £3
- pay-and-play concession member: adult – £5 and junior – £2
For more information, please visit Better – West Reservoir Centre.
Off-peak concessionary memberships are available for anyone in receipt of benefits.
If you’re eligible for a concessionary membership, you’ll be able to use the leisure facilities at a discounted rate. For more information, visit Better.
The Council is committed to providing more green spaces for residents to enjoy, as well as helping to enhance and protect biodiversity. In recognition of this, and the potential for West Reservoir to provide a significant new publically accessible green and blue space, the Council is working on plans to make West Reservoir a site that is more accessible and better used by the community, whilst improving its existing facilities, enhancing its environmental sustainability and maintaining its uniqueness.
Improvements will be guided by discussions with the local community, but are likely to include the following:
- a new accessible green space for local residents and visitors (via an entrance and / or bridge on the north east of the Reservoir), allowing people to circulate around the eastern bank of the Reservoir only
- an accessible bridge across New River (it currently has steps)
- enhanced habitats for wildlife
- improved landscaping
- improvements to existing facilities and activities
- a more accessible cycling and walking route around New River path
- a more accessible path network (linking West Reservoir better to Woodberry Down estate, Woodberry Wetlands and Green Lanes)
- more cycle parking
- new reed beds
- stabilisation of the New River banks
- a comprehensive volunteer programme
If you would like to be kept up to date with the project, sign up to the Council’s Parks and Green Spaces Newsletter.