We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.
Reducing sugar in early years
By the time children enter Reception, many are already consuming 3 times the recommended amount of sugar, putting them at risk of tooth decay and becoming overweight. It is therefore vital to start action on sugar at an early age as possible.
See more information on how much sugar children should be eating.
How to become Sugar Smart in Hackney
Sugar Smart Hackney aims to reduce excessive sugar consumption in the borough.
To help us achieve this, we ask early years settings to take action to:
- Help parents, staff and/or children better understand sugar and its health risks
- Reduce the sugar content in the food and drinks you provide
- Get staff and parents to make individual pledges to reduce their own sugar intake.Make a Sugar Smart pledge
For more information on the actions early years can take, download the following resources
To join Sugar Smart Hackney, take 3 new actions on sugar, fill out a pledge sheet below and send it to email@example.com to receive a Sugar Smart pledge certificate.
If you have already been awarded Stage 3 Eat Better Start Better award, you only need to take one new action to become Sugar Smart.
Other resources to help you
- tips to reduce sugar for early years setting
- Sugar Smart facts for early years
- key facts and links to information resources for children and parents [pdf, 1.02MB] – this includes how to read the label, swaps and snacks
- Change4Life Sugar Smart app – find out how much total sugar is in the food and drink your family consume every day
For more information on Sugar Smart Hackney, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.