How to request an external wall system (EWS) form

We have no legal duty to provide the external wall system (EWS1) form. Currently, our only duty is to provide a copy of the fire risk assessment for the property.

However, as we want to support leaseholders where possible, we will provide an EWS1 form on request.

External wall system explained

The external wall system is made up of the outside wall of a residential building, including cladding, insulation, fire break systems, etc.

The EWS1 form checks these for safety, if that is required. Buildings in scope are blocks of flats, student accommodation, dormitories, care homes and HMOs exc hotels.

Request a signed EWS1 form

Please complete a request form. This will provide us with all the information we need to identify if a report is available for your building.

Request an EWS1 form

What happens next?

Once we have assessed your enquiry, we will contact you on the details provided in order to further progress your request.

As the EWS1 form needs to be completed by a competent person with specific qualifications, we have appointed a contractor to carry out the completion of the EWS1 form.

Please note the current lead-in time for the EWS1 form is a minimum of 8 to 12 weeks, due to the unprecedented demand for this form.


There is a fee of £750 payable in advance for the provision of the EWS1 form.

Fire risk assessments and keeping council homes safe

See further information on fire risk assessments and keeping council homes safe.

Page updated on: 3 December 2020

Leasehold and Right to Buy Service


Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY


Opening times

  • Mon to Fri, 9am - 5pm