The Council has a duty to divide its area into polling districts and to designate polling places for each district and review these every 5 years.
The Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013 introduced a change to the timing of the compulsory reviews and the next compulsory review must be completed between October 2018 and January 2020.
The review is designed to see if the polling districts and polling places in the London Borough of Hackney are arranged to suit the needs of voters and covers the following:
- the polling district boundaries within each ward in the borough
- the location of the polling places and stations in each polling district
- the access to each polling station
The Council can't review:
- the ward boundaries
- the constituency boundaries
Response of the (Acting) Returning Officer
- review of polling districts and polling places - response of the (Acting) Returning Officer [pdf, 191.96KB]
Polling stations for polling district review
The process starts with an official notice of review, which gives details of when and where comments or representations can be made in relation to the review.
Any elector in the borough may make a representation in relation to the size and boundaries of polling districts and the location and suitability of polling places.
The Council also welcomes comments or representations from any elected members in the area, local political representatives and any person or body with expertise in access for persons with any type of disability. The (Acting) Returning Officer must respond, and his comments will be published on this site.
- a polling district is a geographical sub-division of an electoral area, ie a UK Parliamentary constituency, a European Parliamentary electoral region, a ward or an electoral division
- a polling place is a geographical area in which a polling station is located. However, as there is no legal definition of what a polling place is the geographical area could be defined as tightly as a particular building or as widely as the entire polling district
- a polling station is the actual area where the process of voting takes place
- that all the electors have the best facilities reasonably available for voting
- that as far as is reasonable and practicable, each polling place is accessible to all electors
- the accessibility needs of disabled persons of potential polling stations in any place which it is considering designating as a polling place
- polling places should not be changed without good reason, electors get used to their station and problems can occur during elections when things get changed
- the location: is it reasonably accessible within the polling district? Does it avoid barriers for the voter such as steep hills, major roads, rivers, etc? Are there any convenient transport links?
- size: can it accommodate more than one polling station if required? If multiple polling stations are required, is the polling place ample enough to accommodate all voters going into and out of the polling stations, even where there is a high turnout? Double polling stations in the same polling place are often used when there are high numbers of voters.
- suitability: is the building readily available in the event of any unscheduled elections? Is there any possibility that the building may be demolished as part of a new development? Is the building accessible to those entitled to attend the polling place? Are there facilities for polling staff such as toilets, kitchen facilities, heating, lighting and suitable furniture?
Any comments or representations must be received in writing by 09 November 2018 and should be directed to:
Electoral Services, Room 40, Hackney Town Hall, Mare Street, London E8 1EA, email: email@example.com.
- Brownswood Ward polling places [pdf, 3.77MB]
- Cazenove Ward polling places [pdf, 3.84MB]
- Clissold Ward polling places [pdf, 4.06MB]
- Dalston Ward polling places [pdf, 3.74MB]
- De Beauvoir Ward polling places [pdf, 3.97MB]
- Hackney Central Ward polling places [pdf, 4.03MB]
- Hackney Downs Ward polling places [pdf, 4.05MB]
- Hackney Wick Ward polling places [pdf, 3.94MB]
- Haggerston Ward polling places [pdf, 4.33MB]
- Homerton Ward polling places [pdf, 4.13MB]
- Hoxton East and Shoreditch Ward polling places [pdf, 4.58MB]
- Hoxton West Ward polling places [pdf, 4.54MB]
- King's Park Ward polling places [pdf, 3.68MB]
- Lea Bridge Ward polling places [pdf, 4.12MB]
- London Fields Ward polling places [pdf, 4.2MB]
- Shacklewell Ward polling places [pdf, 3.77MB]
- Springfield Ward polling places [pdf, 4.1MB]
- Stamford Hill West Ward polling places [pdf, 3.82MB]
- Stoke Newington Ward polling places [pdf, 4.05MB]
- Victoria Ward polling places [pdf, 4.25MB]
- Woodberry Down Ward polling places [pdf, 3.94MB]