Parking exemptions for key workers
Key worker parking exemption scheme ends Monday 19 July
Following the publication of the government’s roadmap for lifting restrictions, the Council ended its parking exemption scheme on 28 May 2021 for all key workers apart from NHS workers, social care workers and NHS volunteers.
On 17 May the government decided to withdraw its emergency parking guidance for health, care and volunteer workers by 21 June, therefore we are ending the scheme for for all groups including NHS and social care workers and volunteers.
The parking exemption for your vehicle(s) will expire on Monday 19 July. From 20 July, you are at risk of receiving a parking charge notice (PCN) if you are parked without a valid permit, visitor voucher or pay & display ticket.
The paper parking pass will be invalid after Monday 19 July.
Alternative travel options
- health and social care e-permits and vouchers are available to staff working for organisations providing essential health and social care services to Hackney residents
- cycling to work is a healthy, low cost and environmentally friendly way to travel
- walking can be faster than other methods of travel, with no sitting in traffic or waiting for a bus, and it’s free
- public transport – please note it’s mandatory to wear a face covering over your nose and mouth for the whole journey
- if you choose to drive there are limited all day parking spaces available – charges apply
We are supporting critical workers on the front line of the borough’s response to the coronavirus pandemic by providing temporary parking exemptions to those who need them.
This allows critical workers to park in any resident or shared use parking bay in Hackney.
NHS, volunteer and social care workers
If you are an NHS worker, NHS volunteer or social care worker and we’ve previously awarded you a parking exemption, the scheme remains in place for you until 19 July.
How to apply
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
You will need to provide your:
- telephone number
- email address
- service / organisation name
For each vehicle you wish to be included on the exemption list, you will need to provide the following:
- vehicle make (eg Ford)
- vehicle model (eg Transit)
- vehicle colour (eg blue)
- vehicle registration number
The list will be kept under regular review, and those on it will be communicated with about any changes to the exemptions in operation.
British Parking Association scheme
In addition to our parking exemption for key workers we also support the country-wide British Parking Association scheme supporting the government’s COVID 19 free parking scheme for critical workers.