Around 6% of waste in Hackney comes from disposable nappies. This is equivalent to the weight of nearly 456 double decker buses each year. Reusable nappies can make an important contribution to waste reduction in the borough.
These informal events are a great chance to meet other parents and find out all the information you need. You can get free advice about using real nappies and a £54 voucher to spend on nappies.
There are no events currently scheduled.
£54 voucher for real nappies
If you live in Hackney you can get a £54 voucher to use real cotton nappies. You can use the voucher to buy nappies from participating businesses across London, or to get started with the Nappy Ever After laundry service.
How to get your voucher
- apply online at Real Nappies for London
- apply using a paper form – call 020 7324 4709 to request one
- obtain and redeem one on the spot when you attend a demo
If you want to get your voucher at a demo, please bring:
- proof of identity eg driver’s licence or passport
- proof of address from last 3 months eg council tax bill, phone bill, bank statement
- proof of pregnancy or birth eg matB1 form (both sides), NHS prescription charge card, baby’s birth certificate, scan report or an official document with your name and the baby’s date of birth or due date
Advantages of reusable nappies
There are lots of advantages of using real nappies:
- real cotton nappies are easy to use, soft on the skin and don’t contain absorbent gels
- your local laundry service can collect dirty nappies and deliver clean ones to your home
- real nappies are cheaper than disposable ones, and could save you around £500 per baby if you wash your own
Real nappy support
The Hackney Real Nappy Network is a group of real nappy users who offer free advice, based on their own experience. They do real nappy demonstrations at antenatal classes in Homerton Hospital, and attend many events across Hackney to show people how easy real nappies are to use.