Money you owe at the end of your tenancy

You must clear your rent account at the end of your tenancy. If you are no longer a council tenant but still owe arrears, we will chase this debt through:

  • telephone calls to your home or mobile
  • letters sent to your last known address
  • contact a family member or employer
  • a debt collection agency which will write to you or visit your new address
  • tracing information to find your new address
  • obtaining a court order
  • putting a charge on your property
  • deductions from your earnings

If you are unable to repay us in a single payment, contact our Income Service to make an arrangement to repay the money you owe.

We will take legal action and apply for an ‘order for payment’ against you if you have not repaid or made an arrangement to repay the money you owe. This is an expensive option as court costs will be added to the amount you owe us.

Page updated on: 3 August 2019

Income Services