One Account unavailable

We’re working to resolve the problems with the One Account as quickly as possible. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Certificates unavailable

Our certificate service will be closed from 12.30pm Tuesday 25 to 9am Thursday 27 February.

We won’t be processing any orders during this time (including next day service orders).

We’ll start processing certificates again on Thursday 27 February. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Marriage, civil partnership and other ceremonies

Congratulations, celebrating a commitment to a loved one is a wonderful occasion and we look forward to helping you to arrange your ceremony.

Marriage is for opposite sex couples and same sex couples. Civil partnership is for same sex couples only. You can arrange either a civil (non-religious) ceremony in a building licensed for civil ceremonies, or a religious ceremony in a religious building.

Civil partnerships for opposite sex couples

Opposite sex couples can now get civil partnerships. We are now taking bookings for notices from Monday 2 December and the civil partnership formation from the Tuesday 31 December.

To book a notice appointment please contact us on 0208 356 3355, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

 You must give notice 29 days before the date of your ceremony (subject to your immigration status). This can be extended to 71 clear days by the Home Office.

To book a civil partnership ceremony please contact us on 0208 356 7442 Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm.

Civil partnership conversions to marriage

If you have a same sex civil partnership you can convert it to a marriage, even if your civil partnership took place in another district. Please email your completed form to to enquire.

Giving notice

Before you marry or enter a civil partnership, you have to give notice. You will need to have chosen the venue for your ceremony, so it’s best to contact the venue to check they’re available.

The minimum waiting period from notice to ceremony is 29 days, with some couples subject to a 71 day wait.

Civil ceremonies

Civil marriage and civil partnership ceremonies must take place in a register office or other approved premise which is licensed for civil ceremonies. Civil ceremonies must be conducted by registrars and be strictly non-religious.

There are 2 options for civil ceremonies in Hackney

  1. Contact us to arrange a ceremony in Hackney Town Hall Lanchester Suite
  2. Contact one of our approved premises to arrange your ceremony there

Religious ceremonies

A religious marriage ceremony can take place in a religious building which has been registered for worship and for solemnisation of marriages.

Civil partnerships can be registered in a religious building which has been specially approved and your civil partnership registration may be followed by a separate religious ceremony.

Commitment, renewal of vows and naming ceremonies

We offer other ceremonies such as renewal of vows, commitment and naming ceremonies.

Registering a building for worship

If your religious congregation uses a specific building regularly for worship, you may be able to register that building as a place of worship. You can also apply for it to be a registered place for marriages.

Copy certificates

Order a copy certificate

Certificates for adopted people and for people born abroad to armed services or diplomatic families can be obtained from the General Register Office.

Page updated on: 28 January 2020



Registration Services
Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
E8 1DY