Our libraries offer a wide range of free services for everyone. Library members can:
- borrow books, talking books, DVDs, CDs and language courses
- book and use a computer at any Hackney library for free
- access free Wi-Fi
- check your library account and renew your items online
- download e-books, audiobooks and magazines free of charge
- use your library card to search and reserve items from our online catalogue
- gain access to books, information and activities that promote health and wellbeing
On this page:
Membership is free and anyone can join – you don’t even have to live in Hackney. You can also join in person at any of our library branches or online.
Once you’ve applied, visit any of our library branches with proof of address and your confirmation number to activate your membership.
You can renew books, CDs or DVDs online, by phone or in person at any library.
If you wish to check if we are able to get hold of a particular book, CD or DVD for you then you can search and reserve online.
If the book, CD or DVD is not available then you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and suggest we obtain it.
You can use our interactive map to find your nearest library or review the list below.
- Clapton Library
- Dalston CLR James Library
- Hackney Central Library
- Homerton Library
- Shoreditch Library
- Stamford Hill Library
- Stoke Newington Library
- Woodberry Down Library
2-for-1 tickets and 25% off at the bar on Mondays at Arcola Theatre when you show your Hackney Libraries card.
Book now using the offer code LIBRARY241.
Pay just £5 when you show your Hackney Libraries card at the Rio Cinema. Children pay only £3.50. This deal is valid every Tuesday, on any film, at any time.
If you can’t get to your local library due to temporary or permanent illness, frailty or special needs, our community library service can deliver library material to your home every four weeks or deposit collections of books to nurseries, day centres and residential units on a weekly basis for free.
As a member of Hackney Libraries you can access for free a variety of online information resources including the Encyclopaedia Britannica, the Oxford English Dictionary, Which? Online, Ancestry.com (library edition) and the UK citizenship and driving theory tests.
You need your library card number and PIN to access the booking system. If you need a new library card or have forgotten your PIN, visit one of our libraries.
You can also book by phone or in person, by using the booking kiosk in the library.
How long can I use a computer for?
Adults: 2 hours, children: 1 hour. Additional time is available on request.
New to computers and the internet?
Basic familiarisation sessions are available. Advance booking is required, please ask staff.
What is the cost for printing and scanning?
Black and white: 10p, colour: 50p
Please contact email@example.com to discuss booking a room in one of our libraries for a meeting or event.
- meeting room – capacity: 25 standing (without tables), 15 seated (with tables)
Dalston CLR James Library
- meeting/education room – capacity: 35 standing (without tables) or 20 seated (with tables)
- meeting space – capacity: 25 seated or 35 standing
- small meeting room – capacity: 12. If the room is partitioned, 4 per room
- IT suite – capacity: 11 (10 + 1 trainer)
Stamford Hill Library
- hall – capacity: 60 seated or 80 standing