Levelling Up Fund for Hackney
We’ve secured more than £19m investment from the Levelling Up Fund to support our plans for a cleaner, greener, more accessible Hackney Central and deliver on the ambitions of the Hackney Central town centre strategy.
Following extensive engagement with the Hackney Central community, we’ll work with partners and the community to deliver a series of projects across Hackney Central informed by:
- the priorities of local people
- building on the area’s strengths
- addressing its challenges to create a more welcoming, accessible and inclusive town centre
The delivery of the fund is aimed at making the town centre:
- more welcoming, greener and safer
- enhancing the existing cultural and community offer
- increasing footfall in the town centre and supporting local businesses
- improving public spaces for the community to come together
The fund is focused on three themes:
These proposals have been shaped by the views of thousands of local people, including:
- Hackney Central Conversation (2019) – helping inform our priorities for Hackney Central, including both immediate issues and long-term changes.
- Moving around Hackney Central (2019) – detailed discussions about how people get around Hackney Central to inform proposals to improve busy junctions.
- Hackney Central town centre strategy (2021) – creating a ten-year vision for Hackney Central to deliver on the priorities identified in the Hackney Central Conversation.
As we develop more detailed proposals for the funding, we’ll provide a range of opportunities for residents to get involved and inform these changes and shape the projects.