We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.

Register to vote

Register by 26 November to vote in the general election on 12 December.

Accessing your children’s social care records

As a Hackney care leaver, it’s important to us that you understand the events of your life and the time you have been supported by the Children and Families Service.

To help you get a better picture of your life, you might find it helpful to get your social care records.

You’re entitled to all information the Children and Families Service holds about you and can make a subject access request, or SAR, for this information.

Please be aware that your file may contain uncomfortable or upsetting information, especially if it’s not already known to you.

Even if you’re aware of the information, it may still be distressing to read about or remember difficult times in your life.

We’ll support you throughout the process of obtaining your information, including discussing your needs at the beginning and how best to share your file with you.

How can I request my information?

Speak to your social worker if you want to make a subject access request or email us at

Your social worker will discuss with you what information you want.

You may want to know about:

  • family members
  • your time in care
  • decisions made about you

You may just want parts of your file or you may want all of it. You can discuss this with your social worker.

If your case has closed to the Leaving Care service and you don’t have a current social worker, we’ll either ask your last worker to speak with you or somebody else from the Leaving Care service.

You should have received a copy of the ‘Accessing your children’s social care records – a guide for care leavers’ leaflet.

If you haven’t received a copy, you can ask your social worker to provide you with one or email  to request a copy.

Page updated on: 19 August 2019