Join Hackney’s Standards Committee
Do you believe in local democracy, and high standards in public life? If so, Hackney’s Standards Committee could be the place for you.
There are currently vacancies for four new co-opted members to join the committee, which acts as the Council’s ethical watchdog.
Training is provided, as are expenses for attending the committee’s meetings.
The committee will be made up of the 4 successful applicants, joining 2 other co-opted members, and also seven councillors.
The term of office is for 4 years and co-opted members receive a stipend of £113.10 per meeting attended.
Who can apply?
Members can come from all walks of life, and share an interest in the sensitive work involved, which can include looking into complaints made against elected members.
Other qualities applicants are expected to have include:
- a keen interest in Hackney and a wish to serve its community
- a belief that high standards in public life matter
- a belief that local democracy matters
- a high standard of personal integrity
- an ability to reach impartial and objective decisions
- experience of resolving disputes or complaints, and/or upholding standards within a group or organisation
However, to apply you must not be a councillor or council officer, or have been one within the last 5 years, or a relative or close personal associate of a councillor or officer.
The closing date for applications is 17 October 2019 and interviews will be held in mid November 2019.
For an informal chat about the position please contact Dawn Carter McDonald, Head of Legal and Governance:
Tel: 020 8356 4817