Investing in Ridley Road
As part of the Mayor of London’s Good Growth Fund, we’re delivering £1.5 million investment in Ridley Road Market and Ashwin Street to create greener, more accessible and more attractive streets, encourage more people to walk and cycle, and ensure a fair recovery from the pandemic in Dalston.
What’s happening on Ridley Road?
The final plans for Ridley Road were developed by the Council alongside traders, residents and market users to help safeguard the future of the much-loved street market. This includes:
- improved facilities for traders, including contactless payment machines, new market stalls and larger pitches – helping them attract more customers
- better public spaces throughout the market – with new trees, planting, greenery and places to sit
- new dedicated character areas – including a hot food stall zone and market garden
area with trees and seating
- changes to the market’s layout – to help make the busy market safer and more accessible, and to encourage visitors to make use of its full length
- new Ridley Road Market signage
- free public wifi
What’s happening on Ashwin Street?
The Ridley Road improvements will be complemented by investment in public spaces on Ashwin Street, home to some of Dalston’s iconic destinations including Cafe Oto and the Arcola Theatre.
The street will see new signage, street trees, planters and paving to help build on its reputation as a focal point for Dalston’s creative and cultural organisations while making it greener, more accessible and more pedestrian and cycle-friendly.
How have these plans been developed?
These changes are the result of extensive engagement with market traders, local businesses and the wider Dalston community.
The investment in Ridley Road and Ashwin Street is one of the first projects being delivered as part of the Dalston Plan – a new set of guidelines to shape the future of Dalston including Council projects in response to feedback from thousands of local people through the Dalston Conversation. Find out more about the regeneration of Dalston.
When is work taking place?
Work on Ridley Road began in October 2021 and is expected to be completed by summer 2022.
Work on Ashwin Street began in October 2021 and is expected to be completed in early 2022.
Find out more
Please let us know of any concerns you might have while works are in progress by contacting email@example.com.